Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big hard drive is a machine killer!

• 12-12-2003 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i have WD200GB hd and i tell you it's is soo slow! it slows my 3ghz machine like hell! finally it can't handle it anymore and gives me BSOD!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is DMA enabled?, have you got the chipset drivers that came with your MB installed in Windows so you can take full advantage of DMA?. Check your BIOS and see what it says as regards your HDD and DMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Bigger hard drives are in general faster than smaller hard drive all else being equal (rpm, interface etc.), because the info is packer more closely together the read/write head has to travel a smaller distance to reach it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

everything checked, and correct

defragmentation done

here's an example, i load azerus, and it checks for a file, and while it checks the pc is compeletely dead! it takes at least 40 seconds to open explorer, and usually during that process if i start more stuff, the pc wil crash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

hear any clicking from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Check that DMA is enabled in the IDE controller.

• Advertisement

Your telling me you can defrag your 200Gb HDD and yet when it comes to opening explorer it *crawls* along????, that doesn't make sense!!. Are you sure it's your HDD thats causing the prob?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

DMA is ok!

no i don't hear any clicks

when the drive is on the load, why emule for example, when you start emule it loads/checks files right? so loads the hard drive, during period the machine crawls

yeah i'm sure it's hard drive, and hd is not working-loaded, everything is fast

Did you check the DMA settings in the BIOS??. Also have you got as, I've said, all chipset drivers for your MB?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Jumpers set correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Clould be a hidden process slowing your comp down e.g. worm, virus

1.Do a full scan with up to date antivirus

2. A 200Gb 7200Rpm ATA100/133 which ever is not slowing your system down and you say you have a 3Ghz Processor sounds alot like a worm/virus.

3. Go to the task manager --> Processes and see if any process is using the CPU if your CPU usage is very high when your not doing anything disable that process. This will bring the system back to normal.

Try these steps they should work.

Thanks joe............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Proggies using bittorrent like azerus, start by hashing the files ur downloading to see what bits n pieces it has and needs to get. So maybe a little slowdown is expected. Happens to me as well. Try not to have so many files hashing at the same time, limit it to just one file at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Are you sure you have it on a separate ide channel,if you have it on the same channel as a cd drive it will slow down a lot.Good luck

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

If the addition of a disk prompts a BSOD it's either a rubbish OS/installation or your PSU is on the blink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

unless ur BSOD error says NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

its not a problem with your hard disk formatting.

little tip 48bit logical block addressing has to be enabled (usually is by default on intel chipsets but check it out first)..
    to get proper and safe performance from drives over 137gigs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Check RAM too, to make sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

edonkey, Kazzalite etc. can use an awful lot of cpu power if they're doing lots of downloading.
    Open Taskmanager and clikc the "CPU" column header, should order processes by the percentage of CPU time they're using.
    What's at the top?
    Check the "Performance" tab, what's the CPU loaded at?
    You're drive is not the problem, no matter how much you insist it is.

Advertisement