Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analysis of 88 towns in 'Need' of BB According to Dermot Ahern

Options
  • 12-12-2003 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

1 Cavan Has DSL
    2 Monaghan Has DSL
    3 Newbridge Has DSL
    4 Carrigaline Has DSL
    5 Maynooth Has DSL
    6 Cobh Has DSL
    7 Skerries On Eircoms DSL schedule
    8 Tramore
    9 Midleton On Eircoms DSL schedule
    10 Longford Has Cable
    11 Youghal On Eircoms DSL schedule
    12 Nenagh On Eircoms DSL schedule
    13 Trim On Eircoms DSl schedule
    14 Kildare
    15 Laytown- Bettystown
    16 Carrick-on-Suir
    17 Dunboyne Has DSL
    18 Buncrana
    19 Tipperary
    20 Fermoy
    21 Passage West
    22 Roscrea
    23 Edenderry
    24 Birr
    25 Kells
    26 Clane Has DSL
    27 Newcastle West
    28 Loughrea (on Eircoms list for DSL)
    29 Portarlington
    30 Ardee
    31 Carrickmacross
    32 Donabate
    33 Ratoath
    34 Ballybofey/Stranorlar
    35 Kinsale Has DSL
    36 Mountmellick
    37 Mitchelstown
    38 Bantry
    39 Dunshaughlin On Eircoms DSL list/Has DSL
    40 Castleblaney
    41 Sallins
    42 Kilcoole
    43 Cahir
    44 Cashel
    45 Kilcock
    46 MuineBheag(Bagenalstown)
    47 Ballyshannon
    48 Clara
    49 Kilrush
    50 Charleville
    51 Monasterevin
    52 Newtownmountkennedy
    53 Blessington
    54 Rathcoole
    55 Lusk
    56 Tullow
    57 Templemore
    58 Boyle
    59 Kinsealy-Drinan
    60 Duleek
    61 Castleisland
    62 Athenry Has DSL
    63 Blarney
    64 Claremorris
    65 Skibbereen
    66 Clones
    67 Enniskerry
    68 Kenmare
    69 Bundoran
    70 Dingle
    71 Rathangan
    72 Castlerea
    73 Gort
    74 Dunmore East
    75 Coothill
    76 Portrane
    77 Oranmore Has DSL
    78 Abbeyfeale
    79 Carndonagh
    80 Bailieborough
    81 Kanturk
    82 Balinrobe
    83 Thomastown
    84 Banagher
    85 Athboy
    86 Dunmanway
    87 Prosperous
    88 Moate

I make that 19 out of 88 . 69 appear to warrant inclusion.

Who compiled the list and on what basis ?

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Muck

Maybe you can clarify this for me. I've asked the same question in another thread. What the minister has announced is another 88 fibre rings that will sit in the ground doing nothing along with the existing(ish) 19 fibre rings that are sitting in the ground doing nothing until (1) the MSE is up and runnning and doing the good stuff its going to do (2) there are active and hopefully competing last mile(s) in place in each of these areas.

In other words, the Minister is not announcing or delivering broadband, he is announcing one component in the jigsaw. We are still sadly lacking a clear picture of how the whole lot comes together to form a cohesive plan for delivery of broadband nationwide.

Am I right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Nenagh, Co. Tipperary Has Eircom DSL

And with a bit of luck might get included in the coverage range for Limericks Wireless service 3.5 GHz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Muck

What the minister has announced is another 88 fibre rings that will sit in the ground doing nothing along with the existing(ish) 19 fibre rings that are sitting in the ground doing nothing until (1) the MSE is up and runnning and doing the good stuff its going to do (2) there are active and hopefully competing last mile(s) in place in each of these areas.

In other words, the Minister is not announcing or delivering broadband, he is announcing one component in the jigsaw. We are still sadly lacking a clear picture of how the whole lot comes together to form a cohesive plan for delivery of broadband nationwide.

None of the 88 projects will actually be completed and nanded over to the MSE before 2005 . The funding announced will fibre enable 22 towns a year for 4 years, crudely averaged. My purpose in starting the thread was to point out that the basis for the investment is somewhat odd to say the least. The 19 towns in the origianl tranche will all have functioning fibre BB, available from the MSE by the end of 2004 (with the exception of Waterford which was de-prioritied for funding in 2002 and may not be ready for handover until 2005 and also remembering that it became 20 towns whne Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo. became a suburb of Ballina despite being 30 miles away :D

The last mile will have to be wireless. Not a single county council has done a damn thing about the mandatory provisioning of carrier neutral ducting that could carry FTTH or alternative copper of any sort except Limerick City and maybe the county who have a development plan coming out next year. This policy was recommended almost 2 years back in February 2002 by Aherns own civil servants amongst others in an excellent report to the Taoiseachs office. but Martin Cullen has not done a tap about it, the muppet in that time and Ahern can't make him. Nor will it make any diffference in the likes of Galway which adopted a county development plan with no ducting policy in May this year so thats out the window till 2008 unless Cullen gets his finger out .

Ahern will have to mandate access to the tower infractructure before the MSE is created , these towers exist and are controlled by ESB RTE etc in or right beside many of the towns on that list . A combination of cheap backhaul and cheap last mile delivery infstructure would indicate that there exists the joined up thinking from which joined up policy comes in the first instance. The GBS entities need somewhere to stick the wireless gear after all.

A fully joined up policy would do quite nicely minister, what about the towers, Dermot Ahern 100% shareholder on behalf of us all ? Hopefully before christmas. :D The allocation and acceptance of 3.5Ghz licences recently appears not to have been counted in either .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

so if the bandwidth is there, what do they plan to do with it? will they resell it to local providers (as they should be doing?) what will the pricing be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

1 Cavan Has DSL
    You could argue that DSL is not really broadband. Fibre is the only medium that can deliver 'real' broadband at present to multiple users. The real issue is connecting this fibre into national available carrier neutral fibre and as Muck pointed out, freeing up valuable tower space for wireless services to bridge the last mile gap until more next-generation DSL type services are available or PON's become widespread.

Between Coillte, ESB, RTE and the Emergency Services there is enough towers / masts to cover the country with wireless internet services; the issue is backhaul out of these remote sites.

thegills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

tbh the price of an uncontented megabit is... €100ish? someone correct me on this.

we've all heard this argument about the definition of broadband, but id be pretty happy if i just got the damn thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey boys is dsl available in a town just outside tipperary called golden if not when will it be anyone know :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Not sure how accurate the list is since some of the towns which have no designation after them are on Eircom's list of exchanges to upgrade. Newtownmountkennedy is one which immeadiately springs to mind.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Snoopdog, have a read of this thread. If your exchange isn't listed anywhere there it will be - at the very least - another year before you will be able to get adsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Castlerea is also on eircoms list and is being upgraded within the next two months (supposedly!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey moriarty just like to say thanks for the help an no my town isnt on your list.but anyway i rang eircom yesterday and they said they hope have every where done by september can i believe them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by snoopdog
    hey moriarty just like to say thanks for the help an no my town isnt on your list.but anyway i rang eircom yesterday and they said they hope have every where done by september can i believe them:confused:

No, the people you would have spoken to wouldn't have any actual dates available to give you. It's probably a guess on the person behalf, god love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by eoinm1
    Nenagh, Co. Tipperary Has Eircom DSL

And with a bit of luck might get included in the coverage range for Limericks Wireless service 3.5 GHz

yup im using it right now

Originally posted by tuxx
    yup im using it right now

I take it you on DSL.
    I'm on it as well.

I have called some of the winners of the Wireless broadband and none of them expect to be up and running before november. I'd say the service won't be strong enough to reach Nenagh any way.

Eóin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have called some of the winners of the Wireless broadband and none of them expect to be up and running before november
    Who did you call? Did they give you any reasons why it would be November?
    thegills

Hi Thegills

I called Leap and Irish Broad band bot said that the expected to be up in the 4th Q of 2004.
    The licence they went for will expire in November 2004 (I think).
    They did not give any reason.

Eóin

Advertisement