Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lower back pain

• 27-12-2000 3:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

How many of you out there suffer from back pain to the extent that you've needed medical attention of some sort? I've tried various treatments such as physio, acupuncture, orthopedic beds\chairs etc without any decernable results.

I'd be interested to find out what treatments any back pain sufferers out there
    have found to be successful (if any).

Fing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

depends on why you are getting it
    is there something in your daily life that would cause it. for example, digging holes all day for the councel will give you a pain in the back smile.gif
    seriously thou, ive gone through that before due to bad posture. that was many years ago mind you. you could try electronic pad things which are meant for toning muscles and stuff. sounds silly i know, but some of them have a massage option which believe it or not works bloody miricles. or so my friend claims. seriously, he says its the bees knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I just went to see an osteopath for my Back.. ****in Unbelievable...

Gambler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Hunter-FLUID

I do as well.
    But i find a simple HOT PACK will relieve the pain.

You are but fodder in my quest for PREY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I had a reasonably serious back injury about 2 years ago while training.

After 3 Doctors, 1 chiro and 3 Physios it's under control. But it will never be 100%.

The answer was in my case;

Chiro sessions, then 2 months Physio rehab program, then ensuring that I kept up the maintenance physio program at least twice a week.

Problems are usually related to imbalance in muscle strength, which can lead to poor posture and then progressive pain.

JAK.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

We had these pretty sh!tty chairs at work and I found my back getting very sore. So, I got them to get me one of those weird looking, but bloody comfy orthapedic chairs that you sit on and kneel on at the same time - it forces you to sit up straight and feels really good on the back. I got one for the house aswell - £50 in Argos (requires 5 mins assembly). I've started a craze in the office now - 10 more people have got them since trying mine out - they couldn't believe how comfy it was to sit in!
    I found out that if you ask your company to get you a comfy chair, there's some sort of workplace law that says they HAVE to get you one - within reason - I don't expect them to shell out several grand for a super-dooper deluxe chair with inbuild PC and Stero wink.gif but they do have to buy you a chair that you know is comfy for you.

Also, remember the obvious things like bending your knees and not your back when you're picking things up - even if they're only small things.

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Personally im a dedicated slouch, but those chairs that Kharn was talking about are really good and comfortable. They may look a bit obscure but theyre worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Sometimes I wouldn't notice but lately I find myself sitting on my back, which can't be good frown.gif
    Same thing about equipment in work is that you can get nice comfortable mouse pads with the wrist rest's so you don't get corpal tunel syndrome, which is sore.

"Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

mm u's r lucky im 16 and ive got back probs. apperently u can get it from the wrong type of computer chair. i just got one for 150 and my ortopedist has seen an improvment. try buy one. BTW theres a class new computter chair for ne1 with money i.e. not me. its got speakers and mics inbuilt and the thing is set for your personal height of keyboards and mouse. its rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

where i work we dont have chairs, my back and feet get sore from standing for so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Cheers for the info guys.
    Some good points raised there as regards seating in the workplace. I'm pretty sure that theres a Health and Safety requirement for your employer to provide adequate seating
    if you are seated at a workstation most of the day (which many of us are).

Fing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

get your little ones (if you have any) to walk on your back. I know i t sounds like a crazy idea but my dad used to ask us to do it to him all the time, and hes still walking upright. result

smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is muscular pain, you might try a massage - try 'Massage' or 'Alternative Therapies' or the like in the Golden Pages. Expect to spend about £40 for an hour.

I have had problems from posture / using computer / carrying bag on one shoulder. It really worked.

[Nsk]Victor

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 01-01-2001).]

Advertisement