Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 step it up a notch

Options
  • 13-12-2003 12:55am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

O2 have stepped their competition with rival phone retailers, but not by dropping prices of calls or handsets, but by beginning 'The o2 Experience'
    As some of you may have noticed, o2 on Henry St, and possibly across Dublin has begun to sell the ipod mp3 player. According to a member of staff this is the first step in a new angle for the chain, with ibooks, ipods, and i-everythings on the way.
    I wonder how (if they do at all) Vodafone will try to counter this, and could this be a sign of the mobile market cooling off, or is it just the mmo2 heads seeing an opportunity for more money, and Apple being happy to get themselves spread across the city in one easy step?

Flogen

(ps, couldnt find any links on this, but im sure theyre is something, i havent got the chance to find it though!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

I cant see a huge volume of IPods being shifted through an O2 store, not for a while anyway.

At the moment, the average Joe does not know what an IPod is, and those that do, are not stupid enough to buy one in this country at all never mind an O2 store, they are buying them online.

That said, Im sure theyll shift them through deals where you get one cheap when signing a contract or the like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah i agree, i doubt many people who want mac stuff would think of going to o2 for it, then again, perhaps thats what they want to change.....
    i can imagine it selling stuff like tvs soon.... and making s*hitty powercity style ads.

Flogen

Virgin Megastores are taking this sort of route in the US afaik, adding all sorts of electronic gadgets to the shelves due to a fall off of sales of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Got am email from o2 today with the following:
    Got a media messaging phone?
    We have 200 FREE media messages* for you to use between now and the end of January. What's more, they are ready to use and you don't need to sign up. Media messages can now be sent to and received from Vodafone mobiles. (*O2 Customers only)

Looks as though I have 200 free media messages to go through, and it also mentiones that you can send them o2 to Vodafone .... but it fails to mention weather the cross network MMS ones will be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was actually gonna be something that was actually interesting... O2 stores selling Apple gear is hardly stepping it up a notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    I cant see a huge volume of IPods being shifted through an O2 store, not for a while anyway.

At the moment, the average Joe does not know what an IPod is, and those that do, are not stupid enough to buy one in this country at all never mind an O2 store, they are buying them online.

That said, Im sure theyll shift them through deals where you get one cheap when signing a contract or the like.

that's not true about most avg joes don't know what ipods are..

i brought mine into school one day and every single guy in my class knew the name of the mp3. the reactions i got were Oh my god, u got an ipod. i asked them where they had heard of them and they said "uhh it was in the 50 cent PIMP video"

i brought mine into school one day and every single guy in my class knew the name of the mp3. the reactions i got were Oh my god, u got an ipod. i asked them where they had heard of them and they said "uhh it was in the 50 cent PIMP video"

I think you just backed up his point. I am guessing you are in your mid to late teens. The fact is that you are probably not the market they are aiming for, i.e. your age group do not have the money to buy an IPOD. They are aiming it towards people in their 20s who have a bit of cash lying about and can afford to sped 500 quid on an MP3 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

its probably a way of paying the rent for all the bloody o2 stores they have. Selling their own subsedised phones isnt going to generate much cash. Selling I-pods at ripp off prices to idiots with credit cards will generate alot of cash, on the other hand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

sorry your bored jesus_thats_gre....... how about this:

o2 stores are now giving coupons to free rides from dublin prostitutes with every new handset bought...

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    sorry your bored jesus_thats_gre....... how about this:

o2 stores are now giving coupons to free rides from dublin prostitutes with every new handset bought...

Flogen

Ah now, no need for that. You gotta admit, its hardly stepping it up a gear is it?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by flogen
    Does that include Upgrades??!! :D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

....is this speakeasy or bill pay?

Advertisement