Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2k Install problems

Options
  • 13-12-2003 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is really starting to annoy me. I've tried to install Win2k twice now. Went through a 2 - 3 hour hard drive format. Then Win2k starts to install... gives some error about some file or other off the cd. Press enter to retry it or escape to ignore it.

So I hit return... it works or it doesnt. If it doesnt I just hit ignore. Then after maybe 2 ignores the whole thing haults and goes through to some blue screen.

Its really starting to annoy me. Anyone any ideas or help or anything!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

what does it say on the blue screen (stop error) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

2 --> 3 hour hard drive format doesnt sound right (What type of Hdd u have),

This happens if the cd is corupt or a bad copy or your trying to install 2k on a really, really old machine???

Let me know

Thanks joe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had this exact problem with a flakey DVDrom drive, I put the CD into a CDrom and it worked perfectly ... have you got another *rom to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

A large drive say 120Gb+ can take that long to format, but you only need to do it once not everytime you want to install Win2k. Anyway it sounds like you either have a fecked CD(I'd say this is the prob) or a fecked CD-drive like has been mentioned before. If the CD is fecked get another it would be quicker and easier then replacing your CD-ROM, if it still wont work with a diffrent CD(is yours a 'backup CD'?) your drive is most likely the prob.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Next time you could set up a small partition of 4-8GB so formating would be a bit quicker - the rest of the driver can be partitioned and quickformatted when up and running - you could even join both parts to gether to get one drive letter if you go down the NTFS route.

I usually boot up from a win98 floppy to do the partitioning ( and if it's an older OS turn off large drive support so C: is 2047MB FAT 16 - it's faster than FAT32 and everything can use it) - for Win2K /XP I'd setup it up as Fat32 > 2GB . In most cases xcopy /s the Win9x or i386 folder to the same folder on the HDD and then run the setup from there..

• Advertisement
Advertisement