Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly basic questions

• 13-12-2003 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Sorry about this, I've been trying to make sense of this from the various posts, but am getting more and more confused.....

Basically, i've got UTV Clicksilver with the ZyXel modem they supply, and want to change to a wireless setup.

What I think I've gleaned from posts here is that I need a router and an ethernet modem of some sort, but after that I'm flummoxed. I'm only interested in connecting 1 PC up at present, but would like to have the option of adding more later.

Can some nice person simply spell out to me what I need to organise this?. Ideally, don't want to spend more that 250 yoyos on this project.

Many thanks in advance :),

AG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you could do what I did.. I have UTV and wanted to go wireless too..

I got the Netgear WGR614 & DM602 combo from www.dslwarehouse.ie and a few days later I bought a WG511 for my laptop. All's working grand now and I can use the internet from anywhere in the house :)

That'd blow your budget a bit so you could stick to 802.11b to keep things a bit cheaper. Either way, take a look around www.dslwarehouse.ie or www.elara.ie and youre sure to find something. Quick note though - elara won't swap stuff if it proves not to be compatible with your existing kit. Found that out the hard way after buying a netgear PS101 print server from them and it didnt work with my laser printer. €90 out of pocket :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ArthurG
    Sorry about this, I've been trying to make sense of this from the various posts, but am getting more and more confused.....

Basically, i've got UTV Clicksilver with the ZyXel modem they supply, and want to change to a wireless setup.

What I think I've gleaned from posts here is that I need a router and an ethernet modem of some sort, but after that I'm flummoxed. I'm only interested in connecting 1 PC up at present, but would like to have the option of adding more later.

Can some nice person simply spell out to me what I need to organise this?. Ideally, don't want to spend more that 250 yoyos on this project.

Many thanks in advance :),

AG
    You could just replace the USB modem with the DLink DSL-604+ It's a "DSL modem" and a wireless access point in a single device. It also provides 4 ethernet ports, so you can use it with PCs that don't have an ethernet connection.

You can get it for €186.70. A Wireless adapter for your PC will cost you about €70. (An ethernet card will cost about €10).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I got the Netgear WGR614 & DM602 combo from www.dslwarehouse.ie

rymus - thanks for the info. Just to be 100% certain, this setup you mention above is all I'd need?. No additional adaptors etc required for just 1 PC?. Looks good and I will order it as soon as I'm happy its the complete package.

Is there anything special I need to know about UTV in terms of setting everything up?.

Thanks again for the help guys,

AG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ArthurG
    rymus - thanks for the info. Just to be 100% certain, this setup you mention above is all I'd need?. No additional adaptors etc required for just 1 PC?. Looks good and I will order it as soon as I'm happy its the complete package.

Sorry, I named the wrong DLink model (I've edited the post above to correct it). The DSL-604+ provides all the functionality of the Netgear combo, but it's €45 cheaper when you include delivery (and you're buying from an Irish retailer too).

The NetGear does support 54Mbps connections, rather than the DLinks 22MBps. But your DSL connection is only 0.5Mpbs anyway, so unless you expect to be using other 802.11g gear, it seems like overkill.

Whichever solution you go for you'll need to connect it to your PC. If you don't have an ethernet card in your PC, you'll need to install one - they start at about €10.50 from either vendor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Well as far as external adaptors... you'll already get a splitter from UTV so thats connection to the modem covered. All you'll need is the wifi card for a laptop or a basic 10Mbps ethernet card for your desktop. Alot of motherboards come with 10/100's already built in so check it before you shell out for an extra card.

54Mbps will be overkill for the people who ONLY want to share their DSL but if like me you'll be adding a file & print server, accessing other networked computers & so on the higher speed is a must.

you could always go bargain basement and go for an 11Mbps solution.

Only problem I've found with Netgear stuff so far is the lack of Irish tech support. So far I've had to make 2 fairly lengthy phone calls to England (but not for the DSL kit I might add).

Setup is too easy, had the whole thing done in less than 20 mins. That even includes running CAT5 cable from the phone socket downstairs to the router upstairs. Not too shabby :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Well guys, finally decided on a D-Link604+ modem/router and a LinkSys wireless PCI adapter.

Everything is flying now (after a panicy hour when nothing would work, removal of the UTV connection from Network Places sorted that out....)

Thanks for the help, I'm certainly happy to see those wires gone.

:D

Cheers,

AG

Advertisement