Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better DVD burners coming?

• 13-12-2003 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at Komplett and saw a NEC1100A for €78 odd euro and a 1300A for €126 odd euro (+p&p for both of them) .... and I've read on multiple sites that there is a bunch of new 8X DVD burners here or on the way .... the question is: will this push down he price of the current crop of burners like the NEC's above or are they already at rock bottom?....
    And another question is: is there any other fancy new DVD features coming (standard DVD, not one of the 20 - 30GB 'blue' DVD specifications) ... I'm just trying to see if it is worth buying now or hanging on till the new year and save a few bucks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Every thing new comes out in the first quarter of the year but trying to save a few €'s on a DVD-RW its already €77 like yo u said I dont think there is goina be a big drop (Maybe a small drop on the multi writers not really worth waiting for)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'd wait and save for an 8x burner, they'll be more costly but will do a DVD twice as fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

the only 8x one ive seen so far (think it was a lite on) only wrote one standard at 8x (-r) it still wrote +r at 4x so isnt a great improvement imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are dual-layer DVD burners on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    There are dual-layer DVD burners on the way.

As in ~9GB of data? ... that'd be cool, just as long as media wasnt too pricey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

As in ~9GB of data?
    yes

Philips has the dual layer writers penciled in for April.

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    the only 8x one ive seen so far (think it was a lite on) only wrote one standard at 8x (-r) it still wrote +r at 4x so isnt a great improvement imo

ohh well i'm kinda new to DVD technology.
    yes

tribble

can't wait to see the price of the burner and the media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by tribble
    Pencils, now there's an idea for mass storage!!

:p

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I have just bought a Pioneer 106 (4X multiformat), so I suppose I am a bit biased.

A few general points:

The burn time of the DVD creation process is relatively short. The majority of the time is taken up with processing the data, certainly for backing up movies.

It takes me about 35-60 minutes to backup a full DVD movie, depending on whether the movie needs to be compressed. The actual writing time is about 12-15 minutes. Upgrading to an 8X burner would take about 7-8 minutes of this, which is not a massive improvement.

8X media is still a rarity, and considering the vast variation in quality for 4X media, it will probably be a while before reliable and widely compatible 8X media are available, at a reasonable price.

Dual layer technology is the next big thing, I think, and would be worth waiting for.

Ro

Advertisement