Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 2.4 + IS7 Mobo Overclock

Options
  • 13-12-2003 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Yo,

I've heard these babies can overclock to 3ghz without any hassle so i'd like to do so. Problem is i've no idea how to do this right.

I've got :
    P4 2.4 800 fsb
    Is7-e
    1gig 3200 ddr 400

My cooling should be suffient. When windows starts its usually 32-35 degrees and I've to get some thermal paste aswell this week so i hope it will go down more.
    After a game its usually 40-45 and sometimes 50.

I've tried before in the bios to set the fsb to 250 mhz and my cpu:dram to 5:4 and keeping my agp and pci slots fixed at 66/33 but when it gets to load windows, it always reboots. What could be causing it? Its not heat because when i go into the bios it says 42-45. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I think setting your FSB to 250 is a bit high. I've mine at 170 and I'm at 3ghz on a 2.4B P4. Try increasing your FSB gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

So how does that work then? If your at 170 mhz and your getting 3ghz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    So how does that work then? If your at 170 mhz and your getting 3ghz?

Different multiplier?

170 * 18 = 3060

Yeah, it's a 533 FSB chip, which is why I added the B to the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

You shouldn't just jump to 250 fsb :eek:
    What BIOS are you using with the IS7? earlier versions had probs running 250+ fsb

Loosen your ram timings and start at fsb 220, run prime95 (all tests)
    If you get no errors, try 230 and repeat tests
    If you get no errors, try 240 and repeat tests
    If it's stable at 240, try 245, 246, 247 until you get errors (you may start getting errors at ~230 if it's a poor chip)

When you find the highest stable fsb for your cpu, you can tighten up your ram speeds.

• Advertisement

Prepare for a stupid question:

Does loosening the timings mean increasing the numbers?

</stupid question>

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Yeah, it's increasing the delays between each action needed to retrieve a single piece of data. The more time the ram has to complete each action, the less chance of an error occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I've tried before in the bios to set the fsb to 250 mhz and my cpu:dram to 5:4 and keeping my agp and pci slots fixed at 66/33 but when it gets to load windows, it always reboots. What could be causing it? Its not heat because when i go into the bios it says 42-45. Any thoughts?

Chances are your chip will be able to hit 3ghz but to jump straight to it without raising your Vcore voltage is madness TBH. What Sir Random is saying is on the ball but mabye a little complex for your first overclock........

Getting a balance between ram speed, timings, cpu speed, dividers, voltage, heat is a nightmare at times. I would concentrate on one thing at a time, ie your CPU. Leave the divider and up the FSB in 10mhz Increments until it is unstable, increase the Vcore a notch or 2 and run Prime95 to see if your stable..... after that mabye increase it again and up your Vcore again (at all time watching your heat) . Then mabye work on your ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

2.4%20@%203.2.JPG

Thats my bad boy @3.2 on an ABIT IC-7 with 1gb of Corsair Matched, with stock cooling, try 220 from the start and then its slow all the way, i did it in 4Mhz jumps and left it for an hour or two between jumps to check stablity, its a slow process but its has to be done to be safe, i also locked the AGP after a bit of a scare when i overclocked my GFX card. Prime 95 is the daddy for checking stability, i get 8+hrs till i get an error so im happy with that, i can run for 12 hours without an error @ 3.06G
    But 3.2 is much nicer!!
    Good luck!
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Right i think i know what to do so but if i leave the cpu:dram at 1:1 won't i be overclocking my ram when i up the fsb?

Also when i'm raising the vcore, what increment should i do it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If you set it to 5:4 and when you get your CPU to 250, your ram will be at 200Mhz (normal), if the CPU is below 250 you will be underclocking your ram (i think)
    VCORE: Abit bios sets the amount you can jump, dont increase it till your getting unstable, i was at 3Ghz b4 i upped it one step.
    Njoy

this may help:
    link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by feylya
    170 * 18 = 3060

Yeah, it's a 533 FSB chip, which is why I added the B to the spec.

What motherboard do you have this in?

It's an MSI 865PE Neo2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Why did you get a 2.6b and not a "c" processor then?

Komplett bundle/no money/didn't know.

Advertisement