Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Problems

Options
  • 05-01-2000 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Since I have come back from christmas I have been suffering from Modem disconnects. I checked out the pc and it looks ok except when I tried to reflash the modem firmware it came up with a problem saying the com port you are using is in use by another device.
    So i tried modem in the other com port but same issue.
    Is there a way of finding out what is conflicting with my modem. A way of seeing whats on each on the com ports.

Tom (jedi)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

ctrl-alt-del and killing apps off one by one.
    Pain in the **** but sometimes the only way to find out.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I had major problems like that a few months ago whrn i first installed my moden (internal)
    Maybe the same solution will work.
    Go to system in the control panel (assuming it is win95)
    Check out the irq of each device and see if any are clashing with ure com port.
    Maybe another internal device thinks its using that com port- My problem was that there wasnt a free IRQ but since neither of my ext. com or printer ports were being used i just changed their irq and disabled them. Basically I twiddled and experimented till I sussed how to mess with my IRQ and port settings. I hope this is a help , maybe its useless , but anyways smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cr^sH

Jedi, I had the exact problem ages ago i done exactly what Paladin done and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i am getting the same problem at the moment
    my modem is acying the bolox
    keep getting an engaged signal when the line is free and it keeps installing as modem 2
    also it wont load up the wave table for it forsome reason
    anyone have the last release of the pace drivers they can send me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Thanks Lads,

I'll give it a try later. smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Jedi did u just switch to Esat cause those ****s are cuttin people off on purpose to open up free slots for other people to connect

Try d/l the stay connected program from
    http://www.inklineglobal.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

jedi i got this prob also:
    i tried all the stuff, i even has one of those sit in for 2 hours and resinstall windows, after about 2 days of deliberations and racking my brain for answers, it turned out a small bit of gritty dusty wool got caught in the com port !

Id try it smile.gif
    Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

One piece of advice to all. smile.gif Dont disable your AGP slot if you use a AGP video card. Trust me it's as funny as it sounds. Ask Jedi. smile.gifsmile.gif :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Tom,

I'll have a look at it on Saturday for yah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement