Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good optical mouse?

• 13-12-2003 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting an optical mouse. Not particularly interested in it being wireless. Can anyone recommend a good one ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the MX by Logitech :)

2485.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Which series is that ?

MX 900 with Bluetooth

this is the MX 700
    855.gif

Is it true that most optical mice only last just over a year or so ?

only if you drop them :)

seriously tho, I've had zero prbs with my logitech optical.
    very reliable and accurate.

cant stand trackball mice now.

I can safely say the MX700 is a very very sweet piece of gear. A mate has one and it is *really* class to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Boomslang 2100! :D How I want one of those babies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Get the mx300. It has the standard logitech design, 800 dpi and is the cheapest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    Get the mx300. It has the standard logitech design, 800 dpi and is the cheapest.
    Jaguar were doing optical mice for a tenner + Vat recently
    Logitch M-BJ69 - but the components page on their web site is down at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    they aint great i have one and they jump a hell of alot certainly did not live up to its rep. maybe i got a bad one but i dunno tbh

anyhow the mx700 is my current mouse and its great altho i have a ms explorer v3 and v1 both of which were great also, just use them on different comp's would be interested in trying out the explorer v4 with the "tilt wheel" but anyway my two cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Another vote for the mx700. I have one and it's very good. Only had one prob though, the mousewheel didn't work for ut2003 when u have all the buttons working. I had to switch to the regular mouse and lose the other buttons. Logitech is supposed to have a fix out, but I've been happy using it as a regular mouse. Very accurate.

• Advertisement

I think its a toss up between the MX500 and the wireless MX700, anyone know what the MX500 is like ? Leaning towards the MX500 at the moment mainly due to the €50 price difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical.
    They don't make em anymore, shame.
    Reads on just about any surface, two LEDs, one along the Y-axis, another off-set by 45* to the bottom left coordinates (1,-1). 800dpi, 2000Hz sample rate afaik, maybe higher.

Can anyone reccomend me some mouse-feet/sliding-enabling-thingies for my ouse?
    Little hard bumpy sickers or something to let it glide like it once did? I'm missing a foot or too off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Hows about this Logitech Cordless Desktop MX. The MX700 mouse as mentioned above and a matching keyboard all for only € 89,99.
    http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=126_76&products_id=13312&osCsid=c770875a3acbe00f6da590616d44b35a

This same package is € 133,10 on Komplett, MX700 alone is € 77,91 on Komplett.

Rgds,
    Zep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical.
    They don't make em anymore, shame.
    Reads on just about any surface, two LEDs, one along the Y-axis, another off-set by 45* to the bottom left coordinates (1,-1). 800dpi, 2000Hz sample rate afaik, maybe higher.

Can anyone reccomend me some mouse-feet/sliding-enabling-thingies for my ouse?
    Little hard bumpy sickers or something to let it glide like it once did? I'm missing a foot or too off it.

Yeah I have two of these, one for each hand. Nah I have one for both of my PC's.
    Best mouse I've ever had. But I don't use the Logitech drivers. I use the MS drivers. Had mine for over a year no problems thus far anyway.

You might find those sticker things on some cheapo mice. Alternative send Logitech an email or a letter. Sometimes companys will send you out replacements if you write them a little note.

If I was buying a new mouse I'd buy a new logitech MX series one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Just ordered an MX500 myself, (cheaper than the 700, and I don't trust wireless for gaming! :D). What MS driver should I use for this? (When it arrives! :D)

Also, I have mouse acceleration disabled through the registry currently (much better than the software options for turning it off as it doesn't make the mouse virtually non move-able!), will installing new drivers turn acceleration in the registry back on?

Ah just checked and I'm using the 9.42 logitech mouseware drivers. Must have switched a while back and forgotten about it. The earlier drivers weren't great. These ones seem ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

will installing new drivers turn acceleration in the registry back on?

Yeah it will but there are alot of tutorials to fix the mouseware drivers, because there shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Einstürzende

i had the boomslang 2000 and it wasn't great the sensors came loose after bout 6 month and it takes ages to get use to it's shape

has any1 forgotten the exp 3 by M$

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i had the boomslang 2000 and it wasn't great the sensors came loose after bout 6 month and it takes ages to get use to it's shape

has any1 forgotten the exp 3 by M$

I hated it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

i have an mx500 and i can say that its well good.
    I use ms drivers with it as until recently logitech drivers sucked tho that has now been fixed. I am tempted to retry logitech drievrs tho.

mx500 is a great mouse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've been using the logitech drivers since day one nd I never had any problems, just spent a few minutes configuring it.
    Downloaded Mouseware version 9.79 this morning, installed, work fine.
    Has a checkbox for "Don't use acceleration in games"
    I've the motion speed set to the 2nd slowest notch and acceleration set to low.
    Works grand for me in 2D at a res of 1152x864, I can move the mouse point from one corner to the other with a minimum movement of my hand, which is great because I have very little desktop space due to the monitor.
    In-game I use the games sensitivity settings to adjust the speed to comfortable/accurate levels.

Advertisement