Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Stars...

Options
  • 13-12-2003 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

HUGE SHOOTING STAR SHOWER DUE TONIGHT

One of the most powerful shooting star displays of the year is expected to be seen in the skies over Ireland tonight.

Anyone who goes outdoors tonight is likely to see 20 times more shooting stars than normal, and some of them will be extremely bright fireballs.

Shooting stars, or "meteors" to give them their correct name are caused by small pieces of space debris about the size of a grain of sand that slam in to the Earth's upper atmosphere at 80,000 mph burning up as a fiery streak that looks like a star falling from the sky.

This shower is called the Geminids because the paths of all the meteors point back to the constellation of Gemini. However, Geminid meteors can appear anywhere in the sky so it is not important to look in any particular direction.

The Geminids are known for producing very bright fireballs that leave smoking streaks behind them.

"I think the Geminids are the best shooting star of the year" said David Moore, Chairman of Astronomy Ireland. "I have seen it for many years and it sticks in my mind as one shower that never disappoints and always produces some really spectacular bright fireballs. I'll certainly be out watching and anyone who likes a natural celestial fireworks display should too".

Astronomy Ireland is advising everyone to watch 'the fireworks' tonight. They can be seen from all around the country, even from brightly lit cities. The Geminids can be seen all night.

Further details about shooting stars and telescopes for Christmas from Astronomy Ireland on (01) 847 0777 or www.astronomy.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I thought you were gonna talk about shooting stars the comedy game show style thing! but a pleasant surprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

... of course if you're a shoe gazer you would have missed it!

Advertisement