Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Line unsuitable for BB?

• 13-12-2003 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I live in the Cabinteely area and have an ISDN line. I'm not sure what exchange I'm on but all of them in the area seem to have been upgraded for BB (Foxrock, Sandyford, Rochestown).

I tested my line on the eircom website.. I'm told it's "unsuitable" for DSL.. I called them and was told the same. I asked if the fact that I was using an ISDN line would affect the test. The eircom rep. said no (although like many eircom staff I'm not convinced she actually knew what ISDN was).

It seems hard to believe that I can't get DSL since people who live nearby seem to have had no problems installing it. The internal phone wiring in the house is dodgy but the line itself seems to be perfect. Analogue dialup speeds are often 48K.

Could ISDN be a problem? Or am I doomed to dial-up forever?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

if you have isdn then you dont really have analog lines your 56k lines are digital but are using 56k modems well certain that was the way it was for me, before i got isdn i got a connection speed of 21.4 to 31.6 but after i upgraded i always got ~48+k

could also be a problem with the wiring into your house or anywhere between the exchange and your house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

i had isdn, esat business said nps for dsl. Eircom said no way.
    Got a new phone line in and Eircom were offerin. Still went Esat Business tho ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The TICK

Hi there...

I have ISDN and had the test done a few day's ago by eircom and passed np's at all... maybe you should get them to check that dodgy wiring you mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I was told my ISDN line was unsuitable for BB. Eircom told me that my only option was to move house but (with some help from Blacknight) I discovered my line had become suitable for BB with NO physical upgrade to the line (I live 100m from exchange). Apparently, I was failed due to lack of ports at the exchange and not because of my line quality :mad:
    Find out what exchange you're on and if you're convinved the line is fairly modern then ask for an engineer to come and test it. If it is a bad line, you'll have to pay though.

Advertisement