Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Writer shut up shop

• 13-12-2003 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

When I turn my machine on my CD writer's Read light comes on and I can't get any reaction from the drive, i.e can't open it. Better still the machine won't boot up, meaning I've had to disconnect and use my DVD drive only. I've tried booting with only the the dodgy drive in it and so on, but to no avail. Any idea of a potential remedy to this? I'm just tempted to lever the damn thing open, not sure if there's a disc in there or not. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

try the emergency eject. get a pin and shove it in the little hole if there is one.
    well it will get the cd out anyways. dunno what to do to fix your drive though sorry :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

My CD burner died recently too, altho' it was hax0red to death. Is this some conspiracy to make us buy new CD burners? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Jammed the tray of my writer t'other day :( I was goin' mad 'cos it's a really quite one the way it loads and runs etc, unlike the DVD drive which screams when it's opened - woulda been such a good excuse to get a DVD writer! Had to take it out, take it apart (really apart) and re-fit the tray. The whole unit is soo well fitted with shock absorbers and noise reducers. Popped the drive back in, booted and yay! Perfick :)

Maybe a disc is scratched and causing the problem if there is one inside?

Try setting your BIOS to boot from Floppy then HardDrive, or try moving the IDE connector which went into the CDRW to the DVD instead.

It is what it's.

Advertisement