Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which will be finished first?

Options
  • 14-12-2003 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/reuters/worldnews/2149937?view=Eircomnet
    Tunnel to be built under Mediterranean
    Saturday, 13th December, 2003

MADRID (Reuters) - Spain and Morocco have agreed to build a 39-km (24-mile) rail tunnel beneath the Mediterranean sea, Spain's Development Ministry says, in a sign of warming relations between the two nations.

The tunnel will run beneath the Strait of Gibraltar, which separates Spain from North Africa. The site was chosen because the Mediterranean at that point is only around 300 metres deep, a ministry statement said on Saturday.

The project for a fixed link, first mooted in 1980, was revived at a summit in Morocco earlier this month aimed at healing relations between Madrid and Rabat, the statement said.

It comes less than two years after Morocco and Spain nearly came to blows over the tiny uninhabited Mediterranean islet of Perejil in July 2002.

Rabat claims the rocky outcrop, only a few hundred metres from its coast, as well as Spain's North African enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla.

A military clash was narrowly avoided when Spanish troops landed by helicopter to eject a handful of Moroccan soldiers who had set up a monitoring post on Perejil.

The project is still in its early stages. Morocco and Spain have agreed a three-year working plan with a budget of 27 million euros (19 million pounds), over four-fifths of which will be spent on seismic testing to determine the best drilling route.

Plans are to locate the Spanish mouth of the tunnel at Punta Palomas some 40 km west of Gibraltar and the Moroccan end at Punta Malabata near Tangiers.

Which will be finished first? 12 votes

Spain - Morocco
    0% 0 votes
    Cherrywood - Dublin Airport
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Wonder what the total cost for the construction would be for the 24 mile tunnel?

And compare it to various projects here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My moneys on the Spain-Morocco link, esp if they can build it by using a semi-submerged design along the sea bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gurramok
    Wonder what the total cost for the construction would be for the 24 mile tunnel?
    Ah sure the Spanish won't have to build any of them complicated stations on their line ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How long did the chunnel or the Japanese tunnels take ?
    You see long undersea tunnels have been done before and there are few local objections or develpers buying land in the hope of a killing...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    How long did the chunnel
    I think about 6 years (2 main and 1 service tunnel, with i think 9 tunnelling machines) for construction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

that tunnel from Milan through the alps to switzerland will probably be finished quicker, 56km in all i think, construction started back in 1996 and expects to finish in another 8 odd years :O

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I bet they'll have a tunnel from Cork to Spain done by the time we get our heads out of our arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by NeRb666
    I bet they'll have a tunnel from Cork to Spain done by the time we get our heads out of our arses.

Only if its built from the Spanish side............

Advertisement