Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally I've played both UT and Q3 so heres what I think!

Options
  • 04-01-2000 7:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Q3 - good
    UT - Fu(king amazing. It's stealing my life away.

M

What, you were expecting in depth analysis or something smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Agreed.

(also in depth)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Q3 - Good
    UT - Great (but only stealing part of my holidays away)

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Q3 = Good basic game but lacks depth
    UT = Bloody amazing

Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I played Q3 at an LAN but i couldn't get the mouse to work sad.gif so I don't have a fully formed opinion of it yet. .But my first impressions of UT (also at the LAN in question, but I had the mouse working) is that it's too goddamn slow. Some very good weapons, except for maybe the bio-rifle (crap). I especially liked the flak cannon, probably a good hpb weapon too.
    Please no-one say that they preferred Q1 because I will have no choice but to think that ure full of s**t sunglasses.gif

[This message has been edited by Steven (edited 04-01-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I prefer Q1
    Nyaaaa biggrin.gif
    actually i like both Q3 and UT.
    I dont have Q3 yet but played at the lan and its pretty cool - fast play i like smile.gif
    UT is more of an accuracy game but just as fun.
    ill play both of em smile.gif
    AND Q1 smile.gif
    I mean ive just started at Q1 a couple of months anyway, I havent even played half the mods smile.gif
    Q3 and UT will have to wait a few weeks (till i get Q3 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Q3 = The future
    UT = The present
    Q1 = The past
    GLminesweeper = FOREVER BABY!

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

UT without doubt the better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elsinore

That flak cannon is a poncy weapon, even if you couldn't hit the long side of a supertanker you'd get some frags with that.
    And I don't care how powerful UT's rl is, I still feel like I'm defending myself with a toothbrush. Q3A's weapons just feel so... chunky.
    OTOH, the maps in UT done by that CliffyB guy are really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

Amp I like u're style dood... tongue.gif
    Q3 - Far better than UT
    UT - Far better than Q1
    Q1 - Far better than anything else previously made...

Ehh..any1 see a pattern here? biggrin.gif

The Shadow

[This message has been edited by SHADOW (edited 05-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SHADOW (edited 05-01-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think ut is more fun than the others
    q3 just feels funny at the moment. mind you i havent tweaked it or setup weapon bindsor anything, so obviously thatmakes a difference

i havent played ctf on q3yet, but its about the only thingin ut i play these days

ut is just more fun
    and i only play for fun. why elsewould i play?

• Advertisement

Agreed Elsinore, the rl is a pretty pathetic weapon, just too damn slow. That's why I held on to the flak cannon as much as I could at said LAN. Also, the beam mode on the pulse gun thingy rox aswell. I'm just un-happy that I couldn't get a hold of the redeemer once sad.gif . I've heard great things about it. I kept forgetting to get armour aswell, it just didn't seem that important.
    Strangely though, you'd expect to see more quake fans on the quake boards, there is an Unreal board aswell y'know. Traitors!! sunglasses.gif

[This message has been edited by Steven (edited 05-01-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How long is this argument going to go on for? smile.gif Till Q4 comes out?

Was just about to comment on that, stop getting in before me ya bastids smile.gif. This is gonna be one hell of a long thread. Quick, get your answers in fast so they can be on the first page. Ohhhh, I've got 3 in already sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Havok.old

OK, I have to say I have been a long time fan of Quake. I LOVE QUAKE. I always will... but, this Unreal Tournament thing... its just so damn sexy. It's got GOOD vibes shivering out of it. And to those who say UT is too slow... try playing practice and turn the game speed up to 150% or 200%. That oughta sort the speed freaks in the audience out.

Q3=Graphical brilliance (better than UT's graphics) + FUTURE PROOF (GOOD MODS GUARANTEED) smile.gif
    UT=Stonking PLAYABILTITY + FUN + MORE OPTIONS and stuff (i.e. all round better than everything). smile.gif
    Q2=Little bit OLD + Classic + MODS => smile.gif
    Q1=OLD + Classic + GLquake => smile.gif

The final Result:
    Quake has never let us down... till now. UT takes out the Redeemer and NUKES the competition! smile.gif

So difficult to choose... they're all so good... at the end of the day, its just a question of what your in the mood for!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

[This message has been edited by Havok (edited 06-01-2000).]

and 3 cheers for the good old english cup of tea i say

ho-raa
    ho-raa
    ho-raa

and all that silly nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Like someone up there --^ said its surprising that this topic posted on a quake message board is getting 90% "UT is better" replies.

Wonder would that be a hint smile.gif Rename the Quake forum to UT !!!

Anyways I prefere UT cos it is alot more fun. I can't get enough of Instagib, it just rocks.

Q3 is alright, but won't bother playing it much untill the Mickey Mouse mod comes out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Instagib, MMMMmmmm.

A most excellent mod, in fact, the best mod ever, for any game, as far as I'm concerned. Stick it on Morpheus with a couple of Godlike bots, and a few lads, and you have hours of good, messy fun.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Then its agreed, you all love UT. Well done to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

There is something in Q3 that i hate can quiet put my finger on it i think its the power ups there terable and the air control the models seem heavy and harder to control.

To me without doubt UT Pi$$es all over Q3 without a doubt i can see Q3 Crashing and burning and UT running strong

Strange isn't it? Quake 3, to date, has received more critical acclaim than UT, but the vast majority of the Irish Online community seems to prefer UT. Hmmmm, another example of big name market dominance and reviewers feel compelled to give the old favourites a good mark, or are we all just stupid plonkers who couldn't tell a good game if it came up and bit us in the ass sunglasses.gif. I, for one, would prefer to believe that it's the former. But then, I haven't played Q3 properly yet so I can't comment on it yet, but I was bored so I thought that I'd put this up and get another couple of hundred responses from ye sunglasses.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Who says good mods are guaranteed for Quake3?

Aren't we kinda forgetting that UT not only ships with a super-good map editor, but it also has the p1ss-easy-to-write Mutator interface, which can implement some pretty stunning mods, and for people who want to do TCs and the likes, the source code has just been released by Epic Megagames....

Also, the Unreal community has a history of mods that is almost as good as the Quake community... Look at things like Infiltration, for example. I suspect that all the Action Quake fans will end up playing either UT Infiltration or UT Strike Force... I know I will smile.gif

A lot of people seem to be looking at Q3 and defending it on the grounds that it may be poor now, but it will have great mods. Isn't this counting your chickens before they hatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

when it comes to deathmatch you cant beat quake but for the rest it's UT

With the exception of using the mutulators...

mmmmmmm......Instagib!!!!

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 06-01-2000).]

Define "critical acclaim" in this context...

The majority of website reviews I've seen have been all over UT. Sharky gave it "Game of the Year", as did a few other respected bods... And webby polls of general people have been strongly in UT's favour as well. The Irish community is no exception, more like the rule tbh...

If you're referring to print magazine coverage... Here's an interesting fact. A lot of print magazines reviewed incomplete versions of UT which were supplied to them as "review code" by idiots in GT Interactive (Epic are desperately unhappy about that fact), but reviewers all got Q3 Final and not earlier tests. Q3 had a huge launch party just before Xmas, UT had an understated (but fun) party at ECTS. Activision gave loads of freebies to the press... GT didn't.

I'm not saying the reviews would necessarily be totally different without these factors, but they're worth bearing in mind when you read any print magazine comments...

What? Just 1 post??? C'mon ppl, disagree with me. That's why it's up there sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

i dont knwo if anyone has said this yet:
    in Quake3, the makers seem to have focused a bit on the easily set up, simple clan war thing, something that appeals to me personally.in ut, and i know from reading these boards, there are people who enjoy downloading CTF's and many other mods and playing a variety of mods for a better gaming choice.Personally though, when i hear the word mod, i think 'couldnt be ar$ed', i just wanna play the one simple mod, and perfect it, and compete against other people and be good. It might be hard to have a UT league seeing as there is such a variety of the play, but if you enjoy variety and fun, it would be for you, but the old instant hit, easy fix (games in relation to illegal substances smile.gif

Anyone see this ?
    Pat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not strictly true H_K. The UT fraternity is quickly devolving in to DM/CTF only. Mutators will work just like mods for Q3. If they are good and fun to play then everyone will give it a try. It's not really a case of loads of lickle groups playing about 7 different variations on UT. Current mutators in the main don't really affect the game type. e.g. fatboy is a funny mutator which won't stop CTF fans from playing a CTF/fatboy mutated server. It's still CTF.
    On the subject of reviews of the games. Q3 was, and I'm sure many will dispute this, guaranteed a 90%+ review in all mags if you ask me. UT was almost guaranteed too but the mags always love a fall-guy and probably would have loved it if one of the games had been sub-standard.
    My first post above that started this thread had no real analysis because I don't see any point. We all differ. I am trying to play both because I have learnt the more you play the more you appreciate it or in some cases really learn how shallow it is. So I'll stick with both for the mo. At the mo that means UT 3/4 of the time and Q3 1/4 of the time but UT is so much fun.

M

Yup, I agree, there is no answer to a question like this... people like different things.

It's just when people try to justify their choice (or worse, to run down someone else's choice) with common statements that make no sense on analysis that I get annoyed smile.gif

so far it seems to me that diakatana looks like the fall guy.
    but who knows?

I expect Daikatana singleplayer to be fun in a mindless Doom-ish kind of way. I don't expect the multiplayer to be much cop at all...

• Advertisement

Daikatana? Is he we (slap) ow, alright, alright. I'll nip this joke in the bud sunglasses.gif

Advertisement