Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelski haven,t enought money to buy Henry

• 14-12-2003 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Reports in todays papers that Roman Personally went to Highburt on Wednesday last and offfered £50 million for T Henry. The story has been confirmed by David Dein. The offer was refused with the Gunners saing that he is not for sale at any price sending a hands off message to Real and any other interested clubs.

Fair play to the Arsenal Board for what refusing what must have been a very tempting offer considering the financial situation there. I wonder if they had failed to get through to the next stage in europe would they have made the same decision. It will also be intersting to see if MR Moneybags ups his offfer to a stage where it would Pay for a good Chunk of Aston Gate if it would change their minds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Yeah but Arsenal wouldn't be the same side if they lost Henry. They couldn't afford to lose him long term.
    Without him they don't play as well. Drawing with Leicester last week was a perfect example. I think if he went they'd be only in the battle for a Champs League position rather than the Championship. Plus there'd be a fans revolt.
    He is probably the most over-relied on player in the world atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Last season they beat Man Utd 2-0 and Chelsea 3-1 without him, Arsenal don't rely on him as much as everyone says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Until I hear it from both parties I'll take it like a pinch of salt, afterall this is from The Mirror and for all we know it could be a story which has been rehashed they love to do that, they've done it before with Gallas and it doesn't matter about quotes that means feck all these days.
    If true then Arsenal are wise not to accept it doesn't matter if we offered 80 mil if they lost Henry they wouldn't be the same side and they know it.

Gangsta its more about the long term 2 games doesn't mean anything, imagine if Utd lost Van Nist Forlan has been scoring but would he be able to do it every week?
    I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Both Utd and Arsenal have managed to win doubles without Van Nistleroy and Henry smuckers. One player does not a team make.

Having said that, I tend to agree with Andy Townsends point of view that there is no point in selling henry for any money. If real were to offer say, 100 million, That would be great for the new stadium, but who do you replace him with? Hes Irreplaceable, hes simply the best player in the world at the moment.

• Advertisement

I know that but he is something special but he does have 2 weakness's

1. Aerial abilitiy.
    2. won't get scrappy goals unlike Van Nist he loves going down the left and right flanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by smuckers
    I. Aerial abilitiy.
    2. won't get scrappy goals unlike Van Nist he loves going down the left and right flanks.

Yea, that time he went down the left wing, beat 4 players, cut inside and hit a screamer into the top corner, I could clearly see Wenger mouthing "...but he can't head the ball for his life!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yea so true name a more complete player than henry and ill give you the best player in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yea so true name a more complete player than henry and ill give you the best player in the world

I wouldn,t Swap RVN for him. I think Ruud is an all round better player.
    Henry is class as well but i think Ruud brings more to the team than henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup Rudd is better 28 goals in 30 champo league games says it all,
    Rudd or Henry will not leave there clubs this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Aerial abilitiy

I think hes got quite a good headering ability. Arsenal never use it tho.
    Dunno why you think hes cap at it.

Ah muppet come on, pull the other one.

rvn is a great goalscorer, no doubt. If you were judging the two side by side on goalscoring alone, then you may have some argument.

Henry has way more to his game than rvn ever will. He can run at and beat players anywhere on the pitch, cross the ball, hit long and short passes, he has more pace than rvn, provides FAR more goals for other players than rvn.

Some stats for the league so far:

Player -                      GP G A SOT SC FW CW 

van Nistelrooy, Ruud         16 12 1 23 2 23 13 
    Henry, Thierry             14 10 4 32 14 18 27 

rvn is a great goalscorer, no doubt. If you were judging the two side by side on goalscoring alone, then you may have some argument.

I would not swap RVN for him. Henry tends to drift in and out of games and and as they are both strikers the most important factor is their scoring abilities and IMO Ruud is better in that department than Henry.

True heny has more pace than Ruud and gets more assist than him but I think overall ruud works harder and brings more to the team than henry.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

"more"? more what?

"more"? more what?

More as in more effort over 90 Minutes. Better finishing too.

That doesn't make him a better all-round player, that makes him a better striker.

Originally posted by Gangsta
    Last season they beat Man Utd 2-0 and Chelsea 3-1 without him, Arsenal don't rely on him as much as everyone says.

true but to be fair its not hard to get a player up in the mood for a match such as the two you mentioned. You shouldn't be a professional footballer if those games don't excite you. But how many times has Henry created or scored against sides such as Villa or someone midtable and changed a game for the gunners.

Yes Man U might miss van nistelrooy but there are players of his style who could fit in fairly easily. Henry makes a lot more than van nistelrooy and Henry has far more pace.

Going by your philosophy utd don't miss beckham in the slightest because he missed utds big games last season. Now i'm not a fan of beckham at all but he is certainly handy for the odd free kick and sackload of assists :)

Going back to the Henry topic isn't it against UEFA regulations to bid for a player when the window is closed?

Nope u can bid away but he can't move to a club until the window is open

well Radio 5 have said they have denied recieving any bid for Henry from Chelsea.

• Advertisement

ruud a better all round player than henry, dont know about that

ruud as a goal scorer is one if not the best in the world give him the ball in the area and that is where he is best

henry however is a much more complete player and gives much more to the team overall, he can beat defenders at will and creates bucket loads of goals and scores them as well.

the two together would be awsome but henry the better player by far really imo

the two together would be awsome but henry the better player by far really imo

Maybe their different styles would compliment each other and they would be an awesome strike force then again maybe they are so alike that it would be difficult to facilitate both in the same team. I,m not sure. what I am sure of is given the choice to pick a striker for UTD i would pick RVN every time over henry so. Thats my opinion i don't expect everyone to agree with it.

Back on topic
    Posted By Smuckers
    well Radio 5 have said they have denied recieving any bid for Henry from Chelsea.

I heard the papers had a direct Quote from David Dein confirming the bid, and ceefax had a story today saying arsenal had refused the offer with a quote from Wenger. Interesting timing too whatever Henry is worth today he will probably increase in value should he win world Player of the Year tomorrow as he is hotly tipped to do.

I heard Dein initially gave this story to the spanish press hmm trying to entice Real perhaps.?

The papers went on the bandwagon today saying Crespo and Mutu don't get on Totti is top target and JFH will be shipped off to Barca and the system will be changed as a result, not pressing the panic button poor results against Fullham and Charlton then I'll be slightly concerned.
    Time to put the sword into The Villians on Wed night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by James R

He is probably the most over-relied on player in the world atm.

and Owen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I would not swap RVN for him. Henry tends to drift in and out of games and and as they are both strikers the most important factor is their scoring abilities and IMO Ruud is better in that department than Henry.

True heny has more pace than Ruud and gets more assist than him but I think overall ruud works harder and brings more to the team than henry.

IMO the fact that Henry is faster, assists more, has a great free kick and has so much skill (for a striker) makes him a better player. Granted he may not score as much as RVN but that doesn't really make a difference in the current Arsenal team when you have Henry playing. The fact that so mnay of the Arsenal midfielders and other strikers score (which all leads back to Henry's creativity) makes up for whatever Henry doesn't score himself.

Take off those Man U tinted glasses and watch the game from a neutral point of view :)

True Owen is relied upon but he doesn't do as much as Henry. He also doesn't play for a club as high profile as Arsenal. In that sense I mean by competing seriously for the top honours.

What we must also remember about Owen is that because he is English his role in any side will be always built up that bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

More effort ?? Well that is a good reason Muppet, I am glad that RVN puts in more effort, that obviously makes him better. Have you considered Andy cole ? He puts in more effort in a game than any other player I've seen, he must be the best in the premiership, no in fact better than Henry so that makes him at least second best in the world. :rolleyes:

Henry provides and scores great goals. Ruud scores goals.
    The governing body of football rates Henry higher than Ruud.

Man U fans think Ruud is better than Henry.

The award is voted for by International coaches not FIFA .
    Don't get too upset Henry will probably win it next year if he moves to Real Madrid as it appears you have to play ther to win it.

If You think my opinion is so wrong why not ask united supportes how many of them would swap Ruud for Henry given the chance. You won,t get many takers for that.

• Advertisement

The award is voted for by International coaches not FIFA .
    Don't get too upset Henry will probably win it next year if he moves to Real Madrid as it appears you have to play ther to win it.

If You think my opinion is so wrong why not ask united supportes how many of them would swap Ruud for Henry given the chance. You won,t get many takers for that.

Who awarded the prize eh muppet. It was FIFA. According to the governing body of world football, Henry is the second best player in the world.

As to your ask united supporters blah blah blah, just in case you didn't read it.
    Me
    Henry provides and scores great goals. Ruud scores goals.

Man U fans think Ruud is better than Henry.

also , Real and Chelsea are looking for Henry but I have heard of no teams offering to break the bank to bring Henry into the team.

also , Real and Chelsea are looking for Henry but I have heard of no teams offering to break the bank to bring Henry into the team.

I hate when that happens Fishy:D
    You must be right thought cause it would be unheard of for you to be wrong.

Isn,t that right Tinky.:D
    Who awarded the prize eh muppet. It was FIFA. According to the governing body of world football, Henry is the second best player in the world.

Yeah The BBC awards the prize for sports personality of the year so your point is?. :rolleyes:

Heh muppet, I am not saying that I am right, I am saying that the governing body of world football, has pronounced that Henry was the second best player in the world this year. The fact that x many reputable managers worldwide voted for Henry above RVN should sway you somewhat. The fact that that many managers would rather have Henry in their team than RVN has no influence on what you are thinking here ? It is a sad sad day when somebody becomes so blinkered that they cannot see that perhaps one of the players for a team that they support is not as good as a player on another team. But you are right you muppet, you are very entitled to your opinion be it tinted by your Man U specs or not.

BTW the BBC did have sports personality of the year award, however the BBC are not the world governing body of football or rugby or tennis or any of these sports, now if you are gonna draw comparisons then at least compare like with like.

I have been wrong here and when it was pointed out to me that I was wrong and I believe that it was so, I have held my hands up and apologised, in this case I do not feel that I am wrong. Henry is being looked at by any number of clubs who would break the bank to take him into their squad, RVN is not, is that wrong ? Could you point me to a source that links RVN with anybody please ?

I hate when it happens too muppet. Perhaps you could just stop posting and save us all the hassle.

arguing with the muppet is like drawing blood from a stone
    as i said RVN is a great player but better than henry is a step too far

remember van bastan what a player but compare him to maradona or pele or even cryuff(sp?) and he is nowhere near as good but not saying he was a kevin kilbane either;)

some people have to take news like this on the chin
    eg id swap scholes for gilberto anyday :D

oh and one more thing muppet
    who won the pfa and writers player of the year last year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Could you point me to a source that links RVN with anybody please?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/3239487.stm
    ;)

• Advertisement

Why thank you Eirebhoy.

The Daily Mail claims that Real, who were linked with Michael Owen at the weekend, are interested in Van Nistelrooy. I would take what I read in the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt and haven't seen any corroborating evidence of this but Thanx 4 the link all the same.

It was only a joke anyway T4TF, hence the wink. :)

I have been wrong here and when it was pointed out to me that I was wrong and I believe that it was so, I have held my hands up and apologised,

Eh I don't rememer getting an apology for being accused of posting as Tinky and i didn't see Tinky get one either.
    who won the pfa and writers player of the year last year??

You,re right Jank they were more he didnt deserve. Because they were voted for in January instead of at the end of the Season . Had the Voting been in May there probably would have been a different outcome.
    I would take what I read in the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt

Yet you believe the story about Henry .:confused:

Thansk for the Link Eirebhoy but be carful or next we'll be 1.;)

The reason I believe what was said about Henry was because the chairman of the club in one case and anopther prominent member of the club in another acyually came out and said that this offer was made. Fair play to eirebhoy for making the effort and finding a link that alludes to another article that may link Ruud to Real. It was something I had not seen beofre and I said so.

Seems that your arguments have been refuted Muppet, in another thread you have resorted to childish chants etc to divert attention away from this, in this thread you hark back to an incident that occurred weeks ago. If you your opinion is based on nothing more than your love of your team and your failure to see that all that glistens is not Man U that is fair enough but at least admit it.

You say that Henry did not deserve the two awards from last year, yet he only finished one goal behind Ruud and he set up 15 or 16 (will look it upfor ya if you are interested in learning something new). That equates to approx 35-40 goals that he was largely involved in. The Players voted for him on his overall play, and obviously the managers at the time saw something in him that they did not see in Ruud. Looks like the majority of players and managers who voted are wrong and you are right Muppet eh ?

BTW if you feel wronged Muppet then take it up with somebody else, or PM me, (something I gave you the opportunity to do at the time). I did offer an apology to tinky, it was not accepted as it was conditional, that is fair enough, he hasn't gotten back to me since so I will await the outcome.

And Jank :)

Is it just a coincidence that I posted that link from November 4th on the same day that a similar link appears here. I'd say there has to be some truth in the links to Real...

• Advertisement

I spotted one on skysports/planetfootball, is the lead story there. Was gonna link to it but ya beat me to the punch. Still haven't heard any numbers yet, were they planning on just picking him up at the end of his contract ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

BTW if you feel wronged Muppet then take it up with somebody else, or PM me, (something I gave you the opportunity to do at the time). I did offer an apology to tinky, it was not accepted as it was conditional, that is fair enough, he hasn't gotten back to me since so I will await the outcome.

You did OFFER an apology on condition that you might be wrong !!! What I wanted was a withdrawl of the claim you made.

I did PM you and got no rational explanation for your accusation, in fact we exchanged about 3 or 4 PM's, but you pig headedness got in the way of what was obviously the truth. You are a liar and a hypocrit T4TF, and not fit to moderate a tiddlywinks game.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Tinky

Originally posted by tinky
    You did OFFER an apology on condition that you might be wrong !!! What I wanted was a withdrawl of the claim you made.

I did PM you and got no rational explanation for your accusation, in fact we exchanged about 3 or 4 PM's, but you pig headedness got in the way of what was obviously the truth. You are a liar and a hypocrit T4TF, and not fit to moderate a tiddlywinks game.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Tinky
    LOL

Worst post ever and best post ever at the same time.

Muppet never apologised to me for claiming that i was Tinky. I cry into my Thierry Henry duvet cover nightly because of this.

WHY CANT YOU STOP THE PAIN MUPPET!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Ok. Ok. Ok. I admit it. I'm actually Tinky. I'm sorry Muppet and I'm sorry Dustaz. I also unreservedly apologise to the Mods of this Forum and the Admins of www.boards.ie . May I also take this opportunity to request that my Tinky account be deleted and locked. The IP I use when posting, using this obviously false account, be blocked not only from boards.ie but, and I know you have this power ecksor, from the interweb ingeneral.

again I'm sorry and I hope that this full and frank admission will bring a full end to this sorry mess. :(

I guess tiddlywinks is a popular game after all !!!:D

The Real Tinky;)

BTW if you feel wronged Muppet then take it up with somebody else, or PM me, (something I gave you the opportunity to do at the time).

I could have take it up with someone else weeks ago if I was bothered, I'm not so I didn,t. I didn't pm you for the same reason. The only reason I raised the issue again was to counter your argument in this thread that you admit and correct your mistakes which you obviously didn,t do in this instance . We're all human and make mistakes but normally correct them when we realise.

I did offer an apology to tinky, it was not accepted as it was conditional, that is fair enough, he hasn't gotten back to me since so I will await the outcome.

Thats betwwen you and Tinky . He seems a tad irate.:D

[EDIT] Drop it Jank [/EDIT]

who cares yer both full of ****e most of the time anyway!!;)

I could have take it up with someone else weeks ago if I was bothered, I'm not so I didn,t. I didn't pm you for the same reason. The only reason I raised the issue again was to counter your argument in this thread that you admit and correct your mistakes which you obviously didn,t do in this instance . We're all human and make mistakes but normally correct them when we realise.

Hello?? End my pain!!
    Im taking it up with you now.

I want my apology.

minky, tuppet....??

who cares yer both full of ****e most of the time anyway!!

This is exactly why the accusation should never have been made . . it gives idiots like this something to do with the few brain cells they have.

:mad:

Tinky

• Advertisement
Advertisement