Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelski haven,t enought money to buy Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Back on topic ...I hear on the news that Chelski have offered 85 Million for Ruud, and only 50 million for Henry ??? ;)

Tinky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

didnt you read what i said after??

this false info will give utd fans more ammo to say who is better??
    does that say rio (32m) is better than henry(12m)
    or heskey (11.5m) better than viera/keane (4m/3.5m)

oh tinky post a link to that info....please and a credible one too not something lfrom

http://www.minkysmagicworldofwonder.com
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Chelsea's Chief Excecutive Paul Smith said that if Ruud was priced at £60mil they would probably buy him. He also said that Chelsea would pay £100mil for one player as long as its considered a good investment.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1115754,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

But he also said a def and a midfielder are the main priorities in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Posted Ny Jank
    didnt you read what i said after??
    this false info will give utd fans more ammo to say who is better??
    does that say rio (32m) is better than henry(12m)

You were not making the argument when fishy was spouting about chelski bidding 50m for Henry and saying nobody was interested in Ruud.:rolleyes:

Looks like chelsea realise who the best striker in the prem is too.:D [

CENSORED
    [EDIT] On topic muppet [/EDIT]

60 million for ruud that would mean henry would be worth 120million

cause everyone knows he is twice the player!! :D:D:D

as i said before price valuation means nothing to the the palyer and how good they are and anybody who spouts this bull knows absolutly nothing about football (surprise surprise mostly utd fans like the Muppet and Tinky fall into this catagory;) :p:D )

hesky worth the same as henry??
    forlan better than vieira or keane

thats what effectively what your saying lads
    you should ask santa for a book about the basic's of football

[EDIT] Have already edited this once jank, if I have to re-edit again you're out for a week, now give it a rest[/EDIT]

Fair enough, maybe my knowledge of football doesn't quite match that of others here. But why would someone offer more for one player than another if there wasn't a difference in quality? It wouldn't make sense surely!

I'll grant you Henry is an excellent player and any team would love to have him (when he turns up) but Ruud does what Henry doesn't, he scores all types of goals - not just perfect ones but scrappy goals whenever they present themselves !

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yes thats true tinky, but Henry aslo has a lot of assists.

I think considering he was voted the second the best player in the world says a lot, Ruud is a class striker but don't think he has the same ability to turn a game as Henry. If you were a center half which would you rather mark??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Arsenal's inability to score the scrappy ones was probably what lost them the league last season but Henry's contribution was still immense, he played an integral part in so many of their goals.

BTW I am still waiting to see where United were offered 60 million for Ruud, I know Chelsea guy has said that they would pay it but they also said (as smuckers pointed out) that they wanted a defender and a midfielder as top priority and that they would pay 100mill for the right player. As far as I can tell the 100 mill could mean any player anywhere but the same as alot of the rest of the statement, it is nothing concrete, whereas RA approaching an Arsenal executive and saying I will give you 50mill for Henry, that is something concrete.

• Advertisement

so who would chelski buy for 100m??
    there squad is already strong enough to launch an assault on the 3 major trophies as i said before if it aint broke why fix it??

tftf was it this above that caused you offence cause you deleted this from my above post i was trying to go back on topic?

[EDIT] FYI the above is not what I deleted from your post jank, there was no effort made to go back on topic in what I deleted from your post. [/EDIT]

Posted By Jank
    forlan better than vieira or keane

Turn to BBC1 - Teletext 323 - Page 1 of 5:D

They have completely different styles of play, Ruud showed some of his quality in the game against Stuttgart a while ago, he held the ball and battled for it while others had a chance to get up the pitch. Henry seems to wait for someone else to do the work and hand him the ball on a plate!

Something else that pi**es me off is that a great striker like him takes corner kicks!!! - what gives with that ? Surely to christ you would want a striker of that quality in the box !

The question of who I would rather mark is neither here nor there - at the moment Ruud's style suits the way united play at the moment just like Cole and York did several years ago. If given the choice which one I would rather see playing for united - leaving my united hat to one side - I would have to say Ruud, simply because he takes any opportunity that presents itself!

Perhaps next year Sir Alex may rearrange the midfield and Ruud will no longer fit the style of play and then he will be sold !

As an aside I think Roman has a bet on with someone in Russia that he can win the PL title in his first year ! If they don't after all that money being spent I wonder will he pull out and buy some other team !!!

Tinky

Originally posted by tinky

The question of who I would rather mark is neither here nor there - at the moment Ruud's style suits the way united play at the moment just like Cole and York did several years ago. If given the choice which one I would rather see playing for united - leaving my united hat to one side - I would have to say Ruud, simply because he takes any opportunity that presents itself!

Well thats a different argument, ruud suits uniteds game but that doesn't make him a better striker.

I know I would rather mark Ruud because at least you have a chance of getting a tackle in, Henry's pace is frightening and also the fact he can punish you from outside the box.

I know I would rather mark Ruud because at least you have a chance of getting a tackle in, Henry's pace is frightening and also the fact he can punish you from outside the box.

and I admire Henry for that but Ruud prefers to battle and scrap IN the box where a defender would be afraid to tackle him! Henry is fast but sometimes thats not what matters - running speed is not important when a corner or free kick is coming into the box. I guess it's horses for courses :D

My comment about how much they are worth stands though !

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think the very fact that he get's so many assists puts the lie to the "waits for someone else to do the work" argument, he is up and down the wings, receiving in midfield, dumping off and getting in position again. He can run at players with the ball at his feet and in a second be in behind them cooly slotting home.

Which comment about how much they are worth are you referring too ? I have yet to see any evidence that United were offered any money for Ruud. There may be speculation as there often is about big players but RA actually approached a senior Arsenal official with the offer for Henry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by tinky
    but Ruud does what Henry doesn't, he scores all types of goals - not just perfect ones but scrappy goals whenever they present themselves !

...... as long as they present themselves inside the 6 yard box....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

As that creepy Lucozade bloke would say- 'Henry is better: fact!':p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Regardless of who people think is the better striker at the minute I think if you're going to pay 50+ million for either of them then long-term Ruud is the better option.

Van Nistelrooy is not a fast player, Henry is. In 3-4 or 5 years time age will catch up with Henry and as a result he won't be as fast. When his pace declines so too will a large part of his game. Ruud on the other hand has never relied on pace and as a result will continue to be an Alan Shearer type player who keeps going into their mid to late 30s at a very high level.

Originally posted by James R
    Regardless of who people think is the better striker at the minute I think if you're going to pay 50+ million for either of them then long-term Ruud is the better option.

Van Nistelrooy is not a fast player, Henry is. In 3-4 or 5 years time age will catch up with Henry and as a result he won't be as fast. When his pace declines so too will a large part of his game. Ruud on the other hand has never relied on pace and as a result will continue to be an Alan Shearer type player who keeps going into their mid to late 30s at a very high level.

And Henry will still be able to score from 20 to 30 yards and still able to split defences open with his through balls!

As I said earlier he was votes No2 in the world, where was rudd voted??

I disagree. How many does he actually score from that range? And when you have that total how many does he score from that range that is unaided by his pace? Also I could probably split a defence open once or twice in 90 mins if I had the free time his pace gives him. While he is undoubtedly a quality player and imo a better player than ruud atm (coming from a man u fan!) I think ruud is the better long term investment.

I think most managers would want a 30+ year old striker trying to score from 10 yards than 30.

Just for the record I'm not saying Henry won't be good when he is older I'm just saying that I think when they're both 30/31/32 that ruud will be the better player.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by James R

Just for the record I'm not saying Henry won't be good when he is older I'm just saying that I think when they're both 30/31/32 that ruud will be the better player.

Time will tell, but players of his quality normally adapt quite well to getting old, he might lose some of his pace but he'l still be a class striker who will finish teams off.

I'm not trying to draw comparisons here, but if you look at Paul McGrath, he got very slow but was still able to perform at the highest level, remember USA 94 when he marked Baggio out it, reading the game and knowing what runs to make can be better than having blinding pace.

With age pace will fade, skill and knowldge of the game will grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

As I said earlier he was votes No2 in the world, where was rudd voted??
    6th i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dunno, henry may be a better player but atm id prefer to have Ruud in my Man u team.

Giggs is old and still has plenty of pace. What he may loose in pace henry will make up for in experience. I dont see Henry playing as old as Shearer. I would see Ruud playing that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by jank
    so who would chelski buy for 100m??
    there squad is already strong enough to launch an assault on the 3 major trophies as i said before if it aint broke why fix it??[/EDIT]
    They could do with a right winger to get in the crosses and allow the Duffer play in his prefered position. I think Beckham could make a huge difference to Chelsea, as much as I think he is highly overrated he is still the best crosser and set piece taker in the world at present.

dont they have veron for that??

dont they have veron for that??

No . . they bought him to keep the bench warm for Crespo !!:D

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is miles betterthan Henry, luk at his goal record

Originally posted by emmemm
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy is miles betterthan Henry, luk at his goal record

can you show me these stats.

Thanks

posted by Irish 1
    can you show me these stats.

Statistics are like a bikini.
    What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Its not just about Stats as ususal they dont tell the true story. , Henry is a Choker , he freezes and does not perform on the big stage . Thats why Arsenals performances in Europe (with the odd exception) are dismal compared to the premiership (and Utds in europe).

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Its not just about Stats as ususal they dont tell the true story. , Henry is a Choker , he freezes and does not perform on the big stage .

And thats why he's no 2 in the world???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

[B... , Henry is a Choker , he freezes and does not perform on the big stage . [/B]

Eh, correct me if I am wrong but does'nt Henry have European championships and World cup winners medals! He was man of the match in the Euro final. He's played on the biggest stage in football and won- Yer not making any sense man!!:dunno:

Eh, correct me if I am wrong but does'nt Henry have European championships and World cup winners medals! He was man of the match in the Euro final. He's played on the biggest stage in football and won- Yer not making any sense man!!

Henry is a Choker, bottles it on the big occasion as we saw in the last world Cup and every season so far in the Champions League.

Thats the truth of the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Henry is a Choker, bottles it on the big occasion as we saw in the last world Cup and every season so far in the Champions League.

Thats the truth of the matter.

Compared to Ruud who banged 10 goals past Ireland to qualify his team for the world cup...

Oh wait..

Compared to Ruud who banged 10 goals past Ireland to qualify his team for the world cup...

Oh wait..

Of Course you are right as always

Thats why Man Utd always get knocked out of the champions league in the first stages and why henry is the holder of the Golden Boot award for top Striker.

Oh wait again........ :rolleyes:

Statistics are like a bikini.
    What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tinky

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Giggs is old and still has plenty of pace.

yeah but he isn't as effective as he used to be in my opinion. Granted that a lot of the time he plays a different role now but I was looking back on some old videos from the 1993/94 season and 1995/96 and he regularly beat defenders with ease, ran to the byline and whipped a superb cross in.

When was the last time he has actually done this? I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Ryan Giggs get to the byline having beaten a couple of defenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Henry buckling under pressure? wil u stop. he has much more awards than RVN, hes won the world cup, premiership,euro 2000, PLAYED IN THE WORLD CUP 2002 :P FA cup medals, PFA player of the year, FA player of the year, golden boot award and Confederations cup medal. RVN has won: the premiership, golden boot, FA player of the year.......emmmm......wat else? can u tell me?? oh ya, he had a lovely time in Holland while henry was flying to the world cup, at least he played in it:P i believe France are doing excellent now and i think they will win the Euro 2004.

Ur such a Muppet;)

You can't base a player on their country. Wasn't RVN's fault Holland didn't qualify.
    George Weah never made it to a World Cup but was voted best player in the world before. Giggs has never made it to a major tournament. That doesn't mean they are worse players than the Jason McAteers and Kevin Kilbanes of this world who have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ok have been trying to keep out of this one. I have been a bit stressed of late and I am thinking I would have have got banned if I launched an attack on The Muppet...

Ruud is the man. Henry is the man. They are both strikers but play different styles of football. You couldnt use Henry to replace Ruud, nor coud you replace Hney with Ruud. Its as simple as that..

Who gives the team more? Simple, Henry. He has directly contributed to over 30% more goals that Ruud. That is a very simple fact and cannot be ignored. Especially considering that strikers are there to be involved in scoring.

The fact thet Henry was voted the second best player in the world and the fact that there was some contention to that decsison as many were of the opinion he should have got first place. But peoples OPINION DOES NOT COUNT, IT WAS VOTES THAT COUNTED SO WHO ARE WE TO ARGUE.

I am a life long Liverpool fan and adore Owen. He offers a massive amount to the team and one cant but wonder what he would do playing for a team like United or Real. But I can still think objectively and admit that Henry and Ruud are superior than him. I think it is time you backed down a but Muppet and look at it logically and stop letting your over stated opinion get in the way!!

And Jank, stop acting like a child. Muppet is stubborn, just just making things worse will silly remarks.

The simple fact of the matter is, when Liverpool play Arsenal I am more worried than when they play United. Ruud can be contained, Henry is a different kettle of fish completely.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre

And Jank, stop acting like a child. Muppet is stubborn, just just making things worse will silly remarks.

last time i posted on this topic was 7 days ago so why say this now!

oh i forgot its xmas!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

have a good one maybe you will lighten up in the new year!!:D :D:D:D:D

Originally posted by jank
    last time i posted on this topic was 7 days ago so why say this now!

oh i forgot its xmas!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

have a good one maybe you will lighten up in the new year!!:D :D:D:D

The fact that it is Xmas and you last posted 7 days ago do not make you points any less ridiculous :o

How ya Jesus, thought you,d be too busy to be posting this week, Happy Birthday ,

BTW why would you want to attack poor innocent me?;)

BTW why would you want to attack poor innocent me?;)

The scary thing is, I think ya actually believe that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I am a life long Liverpool fan and adore Owen..

thats a bit strong...adore.... i know your gaf is plastered with a lot of posters and stuff and its like a mini shrine... i always thought it was a bit odd....

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    thats a bit strong...adore.... i know your gaf is plastered with a lot of posters and stuff and its like a mini shrine... i always thought it was a bit odd....

I am sure even you, as an Everton supporter, could admit that Owen, Ruud and Henry are infinetly superior than Rooney.

• Advertisement

ruud and henry yes.. owen no... the other 2 are world class......

Originally posted by Third_Echelon

I was wrong so, you are not able to be impartial.

i am... you just cant detect sarcasm....

I would say anyone would be hard pushed to detect sarcasm in the above sentence...

Interesting point, Owen has gone one further than Ruud and Henry, he has won an award :D

ruud and henry have gone on to win the league!

owen well with the pool he will win feck all worth talking about (dont even mention the plastic treble!!) and any pool fan that says otherwise is just as disillusioned as mr houllier himself

owen is good but not that good

i expect bolton to get something from todays game

• Advertisement
Advertisement