Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question bout Ram

• 14-12-2003 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭

Heyho,

I'm thinking about getting Ram for my Asus A7N8X motherboard. I already have 512megs of Ram (TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB (115063-Komplett-TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2
    - Memory184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz)

I was going to buy the same chip again from Komplett, but I've come across another chip that is a lot cheaper, but I dont know if its compatable. The only difference I can find between them is the CL2 - CL2.5 but I dunno what that means

512Mb DDR RAM PC2700 184 pins - VeriTech/OEM
    333Mhz, 184 pins, 64 bit, CL2.5, DDR333
    Double-sided, 16 chips,
    Manufacturer: VeriTech/OEM

anyone know if I can use the second cheaper chip on my pc?

Ta ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm not a big techie for ram but i think the lower the CL the quicker the ram perform one full clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

IIRC the CL time (CAS Latency I think) is the number of clock cycles it takes to get your data from the RAM ie. the lower the better.
    If I was buying I'd be more inclined to match the chips directly and to buy from a known brand like Crucial, Kingston or Twinmos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the lower the CL the better the reason that ram is cheaper is because its CL 2.5, i'd be inclined to buy the CL 2.0 stick which is dearer but will give better performance and as mentioned you'd have matching pairs of ram which is always a good thing, you'll be able to run dual channel also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    you'll be able to run dual channel also

ok, think I'll stick with the same chip, but what do you mean by saying I'll be able to run dual channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

running a pair of the same stick ram increases it's bandwidth by 5-10%

• Advertisement
Advertisement