Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kubotan for self-defence

• 14-12-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hey there all,

I've been at Jiu-Jit-su for nigh on 2 years now and I recently got a present of a Kubotan. I was just wondering if anyone else here carries one/recommends carrying one/recommends against their use?

Also does anyone know of any good sites that gives a run down of kubotan self defence techniques? My instructor has already shown me some of the basics but its always good to get other points of view and read around..

Cheers!

I think.. 5 votes

Carrying a Kubotan is a good idea...
    0% 0 votes
    Carrying a Kubotan is a bad idea...
    40% 2 votes
    I dunno what a Kubotan is...
    60% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Unjaku

You can't legally carry your kubaton under Irish law.

The Firearms and Offensive weapons act of 1990 is purposely loose enough in its wording so as to cover practically anything pupose-made or improvised for the purposes of harming someone.
    (4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place—

( a ) any flick-knife, or
    ( b ) any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person,
    he shall be guilty of an offence.

'Self defence' is not recognised as a 'reasonable excuse' for carrying a weapon in public, before anyone wonders.

If you do feel the need, most pocket-stick type techniques will work just as well with a mini maglite torch or in some cases a steel parker pen.

A page on yawara / koppo stick / pocket stick / kubatons and their usage with an emphasis on striking : http://www.donrearic.com/koppostick.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Even though they may be illegal I think that any level headed person who carries one for self defense is just plain sensible. If a person gets one just to carry a weapon, or similar flimsy scumbag reason, is an idiot and should have it taken off them by a large group of able bodied martial artists. :)
    Also if you have a glossy magazine/newspaper/similar, these can be tightly rolled up to serve much the same function. If I'm ever carrying a magazine I always roll it up like that in case some nutter decides I'm a likely target. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Carrying around weapons is not a good idea, aside from the fact that it's illegal as Unjaku has pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Sorry - no discussion on the unauthorized use of illegal weapons - locked

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement