Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom standard modem nat

• 14-12-2003 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭

i'm scoping a vpn remote access solution for the mob i work for, not sure whether i'll suggest esat or eircom as i need to look at volume pricing. but anyway, what i wanted to ask was what private ip address range does the modem/router that eircom gives you these days (cayman netopia smart modem) use on the lan side? presumably it has a dhcp server built-in to allocate ip addresses.

similarly, does esat bt supply a router now, or is it just a modem? if a router, again what ip addresses does the router allocate to client pcs?

the reason i ask is the vpn client that will be used doesn't like multiple clients with the same private address, which is bound to happen when dsl routers are involved. so i need to allocate everyone a static ip address within the private subnet that the eircom router uses by default in order to get around this problem.

(i have an i-stream starter connection, but i got it before they supplied this router so i got my own ...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Why does it matter what IP they assign to the LAN interface by default? You can just change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

i'd rather not have to touch every router that goes in as part of this solution if at all possible. it's going to be hard enough to get the users to enter a static ip address on their home pc, let alone getting them to configure (and possibly screw up) the router as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by crowbar
    i'm scoping a vpn remote access solution for the mob i work for, not sure whether i'll suggest esat or eircom as i need to look at volume pricing. but anyway, what i wanted to ask was what private ip address range does the modem/router that eircom gives you these days (cayman netopia smart modem) use on the lan side? presumably it has a dhcp server built-in to allocate ip addresses.
    You can read the docs on the Netopia site. (Eircom supply the Cayman 3341).
    similarly, does esat bt supply a router now, or is it just a modem? if a router, again what ip addresses does the router allocate to client pcs?
    IOLBB just supply a USB modem.

Advertisement