Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

increase performance

• 14-12-2003 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

i have reasonally bought a dell dimension 4600. i have installed an extra exhaust fan and have upgraded the ram which has shown good results in performance. but i would like to go the whole hog in this area, so would anyone have any information on watercoolers or any tips on increasing the over all performance of the machine. all info welcome. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well if its a dell i think that means you can't do much with it in terms of overclocking. The FSB is locked afaik so its stuck at stock speed. With respect to water cooling www.hitide.ie have a good selection but unless you are going for a quiet pc water cooling won't make any difference to performance as you can't overclock.

If you wanted for some reason you could watercool the graphics (assuming after shopping with dell that you have a graphics card and that it is not an onboard chip, btw if its the latter you'll see great performance improvements by buying a half decent graphics card) but the amount you'd spend on this would probably let you upgrade to a better graphics card.

With regards to the graphics card you should be able to overclock it somewhat. a program called rage3d will allow you to overclock an ati card i'm not sure what the nvidia counterpart is or how you go about overclocking a nvidia card

good luck

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

to over clock a nvidia card you got to get a registry entry i got one from www.dearwandy.com but it was ages ago and i don't know if it's still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Maybe you should let your warranty run out before putting watercooling into a pc that is very quiet anyway, and can't be overclocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

As said theres not much in the wya of hardware upgrades you can look at (presuming you have a semi-decent HD)... look at optimizing your operating systems setup instead (pagefiles, caching etc.) to reflect the memory upgrade.

Originally posted by Gerry
    Maybe you should let your warranty run out before putting watercooling into a pc that is very quiet anyway, and can't be overclocked?

i'd say his warranty is down the swanie already though due to his extra exhaust fan and upgraded ram?

i learned the hard way about that when i upgraded a graphics card in a fujitsu pc and then the dvd drive went within the warranty period :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

powerstrip seems to be an alright program for overclocking nvidia cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

thanks for the replies everyone!. judging by the advice maybe i'm trying to move too fast in this area, since the machine is still under warranty. if something where to go wrong,i would imagine that my warranty would still be intact, once i remove the extras i installed. or is it that simple?

well you didn't break any seal on the back that says warranty void if removed did you? i suppose if they don't know about it all is good

Advertisement