Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Kings of Spain: Live vs Album

Options
  • 14-12-2003 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Saw Future Kings in Belfast. Bought the album. Gonna see them again in Whelan's. Live vs recordings........thoughts? Think I prefer them live.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

€12, might go along to that whelans gig too.
    some brill stuff on the album, and the kinda music that should sound great live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kim

€12? I thought it was €10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Daylight

A while ago I thought they were much better on record but after seeing the last few gigs I'd definitely go with live. Some people think the album jumps between different styles but when they play it live it all makes sense. And I love the new guitarist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Well a truly great artist should be able to pull off both but, in the end, gigging is what it's all about so I'd have to say live, especially for the Future Kings-they put on an amazing show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i dont have the album but they're a pretty good live band...

but why did joey stop wearing the tight black shirt?

and no, i'm not attracted to him!

• Advertisement

What do you mean?? He ALWAYS wears the same thing! Not that that's a bad thing for him-he's one of the lucky few who can pull the scruff-look off :D .

thats my point really luce... the first 4 or 5 times i saw them dating back 2 years he wore that shirt but then he stopped and wore sumat else...

maybe it was in the wash and hes wearing it again (i havent seen them in a few months)...

it was a nice shirt...

incidently... how big was the belfast venue and how full was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Originally posted by Kurdt
    and no, i'm not attracted to him!

Sure....that's what they all say... :D

Live or Cd? Tough choice....I reckon live, just 'cos of the energy those lads have on stage. Anyone going to Whelan's?
    He's still sporting the black shirt as far as I know...it's like a trademark at this stage!

Wasn't there but I heard that the venue in Belfast was quite small.

Go team Future Kings!

xxx me

Yeah, it wasn't anything like the Ulster Hall, but really rocked all the same. Didn't think Joey was that scruffy. What's Whelan's like? This'll be my 3rd time seeing them.

whelans is small enuff though its seems to suit FKOS...

only problem with whelans is sometimes its too loud... really! i came outta there with my ears ringing for about 4 weeks once!

though usually its ok ;)

• Advertisement

It may be loud but it's well worth it! It's definitely my favourite music venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

love the album, esp venetian blinds and upside down, but saw them support turn in whelans over the summer, and wasnt all that impressed, thought there was too much noise and not enough music

Originally posted by luce
    It may be loud but it's well worth it! It's definitely my favourite music venue.

its good alright but i might just be swayed towards the music centre, mainly because jump in a direction other than up'n'down without being told to calm down or being 'ejected' from the venue... althought whelans has a lack of barriers, a good thing...

ambassador is good but only if you're quite central...

anyway... fkos wooooooo

I'd have to pick Whelan's over any other venue I'm afraid.
    Many a good night has been had there, and Turn on New Year's eve
    shall be another :)
    xxx me

Yeah baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

he's one of the lucky few who can pull the scruff-look off
    Holy God, he really really can, the boy is beautiful

whelan's rocks, it's the birth of so much ****, &it's just cool generally
    i do like vicar street though... but you have to be in the very middle at the very front. or else not so good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

sorry, to clarify, i didn't mean **** as in ****. i meant **** as in stuff. in a positive way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Russ

I only got their CD about 2 weeks ago. It's brilliant! Never saw them live, but I'm going to whelan's on Sunday.

They never disappoint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

I saw 'em last Friday in the Spirit Store in Dundalk. There wasn't a huge crowd & it seemed Joey had a "frog in his throat" so it wasn't the best live gig they've ever played. Despite the fact that he wasn't feeling great, & the crowd was a bit poor, & they've just come off the back of playing to a few thousand people in Belfast while supporting the Strokes, they still played a great set. Seem really down to earth too. Whelans gig should be excellent.

• Advertisement

Yahoo! All set for FKOS? What time are doors? Are waiting room from limerick or cork?

Can't wait!! Picked up my ticket today :D
    xxx me

Unbelievable show last night. Absolutely rockin'! Had to get the bloody train back earlier this morning though. Whelan's is a class venue.

Aaahh you're so lucky! I couldn't make it for reasons beyond my control. Were Fairuza brilliant as well?? Actually I've no doubt they were...:D

twas indeed a fine energetic performance,
    sound levels could have been better though,
    guitars seemed too low at times and drowned by drums and bass.
    joey's a great scream in him but a little more singin would have been nice cause he's a good voice on the album. That said, album opener "a place for everything" is savage.

Great band and they get my vote for newcomers of the year.
    May they rock the UK and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

After seeing them last night in whelans,I say live!!

What a f*****g great gig! One of the best I've ever seen FKOS and Fairuza play.
    Was definitely worth the lack of sleep! Finally got to hear "Venetian Blinds" live.
    I think "A Place For Everything..." and "Upsidedown" were the highlights for me though.
    I could go on........but I won't. Those of you who were there know what I'm on about, and those of you who weren't....shame on you. <shakes head in disgust>

xxx me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

But what about the feckin floodlights they had?.....spent most of the gig lookin at the floor.

Fairuza were double class tho.

they weren't as bad as the red lights at radiohead in the point,
    frickin laser beams!

• Advertisement

All hail the Kings! Anyone know when they're touring again? No dates posted on the website. Thought some of yas might know down in Dublin. Can't stop playing One Look. That sounded brilliant at the Dublin show.

Advertisement