Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP and Win2000-Pro

• 14-12-2003 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

just a few questions...

1. Is it still possible to buy Windows 2000 Professional?

2. If so, is it expensive?

3. Can i install it on a PC already running XP home edition?

4. ...or it can run on it, but i should expect to see problems?

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

1. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Microsoft_Windows_20.html

2. judge yourself by the web page ^^ (according to the site it's £1 dearer than XP Pro)

3. best bet is to format first (back up important files first)

4. you havn't given a system spec but anything that can run win xp home should be able to run 2k pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If you were asking if you could dual boot the two you will be able .... but you may experience problems with built in windaz apps ... Internet exploder etc .... this could be solved by using Opera and Eudora in one OS and IE and OE in the other ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Cr3m0 :

Spec-
    XP Athlon 1.8
    256 RAM
    40 gig HD
    G-Force 4mx

Does it make a difference if the processor was made for the OS(xp), to run a different OS(win 2000)

BigEejit :

Just wanted to remove XP altogether, cause it's crap. And run 2000 only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

not that much difference between win2k and XP?

Just turn off all the extras in XP, takes 10-15mins

You`d never know the difference

Originally posted by bazH
    not that much difference between win2k and XP?

Just turn off all the extras in XP, takes 10-15mins

You`d never know the difference

true that's a good way around it u don't spend money and it will be done quicker than buying win2000pro and waiting for it to come and then having to format then having to install it seems a bit much when 20 minutes tweaking is needed

check out www.blackviper.com or www.tweaktown.com they have useful tips on how to get the most out of XP

i don't hold responsiblity if they **** up your computer

but i've used the black viper guide and i've no problems

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The main annoyance is the desktop - you have to change EVERYTHING back to classic. But you can turn off all the eye-candy easily enough.

You need to check if your HW/SW is XP compatibly - usually is but some older peripherials may not have XP drivers. Also XP HOME will not join a Windows DOMAIN - this is to force corporate users to buy the pro version. (you can connect to servers with home but lots of remote admin / login scripts missing)

Under the bonnet they are fairly similar - bit like 95/98/ME really (it's possible to re-enable DOS in ME)

And when you have tweaked XP to the way you like it - setup a second admin profile and copy the first profile. Then copy the ntuser.dat file over the one in default user. (after making backups ;) ) this means that if your XP user profile flakes out you can setup a newuser and inherit all the tweaks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

neuromancer, why do you not like windows XP?

Does it make a difference if the processor was made for the OS(xp),

amd call their processors XP, they can run window 95/98/me/2k and xp,
    its confusing but xp sounds kinda cool

Originally posted by neuromancer
    Cr3m0 :

Spec-
    XP Athlon 1.8
    256 RAM
    40 gig HD
    G-Force 4mx

Does it make a difference if the processor was made for the OS(xp), to run a different OS(win 2000)

doesn't make a huge difference, i just wanted to see your spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    2. judge yourself by the web page ^^ (according to the site it's £1 dearer than XP Pro)
    MS (like IBM in the old days) never discount anything in productivity software. You can probably buy Office 4.3 still (for example) but through official channels I suspect it'd be the same price as Office 2003.

Advertisement