Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insider PC Secrets - Sanserson Publications Ltd

Options
  • 14-12-2003 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

I came across this website http://www.virtualkingdoms.com/.

Does anyone know if this is any good.

My PC is slow, everything this site says it will sort I need.

Perhaps this is info that can be obtained elsewhere ?

[Mod Edit: If you have a link at the end of a sentence, vBulletin sucks up the fullstop and the link won't work. Fixed. --adam]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

The above link doesn't work but it does if you type in, in browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Its easy to speed up your pc but tell us what system you have so we can advise accordingly.First item is to run maintence wizard if its win98 under system tools.also make sure your c:\drive has room in it, not full up.also is only slowwhen you play games?More inf o needed!regds kmb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by rorook
    I came across this website Perhaps this is info that can be obtained elsewhere ?
    Guaranteed, plus free to boot!

Try WinGuides

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Personally, I think these types of websites are bogus.

As was mentioned by kmb, tell us your current machine specs and configuration, and we'll get you a long way to a 'supercharged' version of your current PC....for free!

Basically, a lot of the reghacks and optimisations used by these tools are not relevant or do not work as they're advertised.

The most important optimisation is to remove the software that you don't use and then defrag your PC.

• Advertisement

Thanks oneweb. I used a couple of the tweaks on winguides and the pc is definitely working more efficiently.

I have windows 98 v2 and using broadband. I find that screens freeze or hang a lot more frequently than previously. I have defragmented frequently. How often should one defragment ? I'm sure their is loads of other unused files on pc that can be removed. I have used McAfee Quick Clean.

Any other tips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i defrag after any installation/uninstall of a big program

When I first degragged it was quite quick. Now it seems to take30 minutes or so. Is this the norm ? And is it ok to defrag while surfing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you shouldn't be doing anything while defragging or using scandisk, just let your PC get on with it. also try and make sure there are no unnecessary programs running in the background, and make sure you have at least 10% (pref 20%) free space on your hard drive before you defrag.

Advertisement