Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox and wireless Query

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tommyboy

I am fairly sure that the xbox will work with the wired end of things on either router,but I am not sure about the serial RJ45 on one of the routers,Sorry I just realised the links I supplied didn't work so the two routers I'm thinking of are the 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Cable/DSL3CRWE52196-ME ( Sku no: 116995 )or the 3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA ( Sku no:120287 ) and there was me thinking no one knew about them when it was the stupid links,my bad.Anyhow I need to make a decision A.S.A.P so any info would be great,I am currently running an xp workgroup with software firewall and I'm just unsure as to the different standards in each hub ? I need it to work with a centrino laptop aswell and wasn't entirely sure about stuff ?

Thanks again

( And sorry if I rambled on a bit )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Your centrino laptop works on the 802.11b standard which allows 11Mbit/second connectivity (in reality 6Mbit/second or 600KBytes/sec). These routers are 802.11g which allows 54Mbit/second transfer rates (in reality the preformance is half this, in around ~2Mbytes/sec).

So if you use your centrino laptop the above routers will revert to 802.11b for the network (as 802.11g is backwards compatible) and you will get speeds of 6Mbit/second.

So if you are engaging in more than the occasional file transfers over the wireless you should stay wired OR just use the router to connect up the Xbox & the laptop.

Another solution would be to get a 802.11g card for your laptop (around €70) which you can stick in the mini-pci slot or a PCMCIA slot & everything will run on @ 802.11g as you can get either and 802.11b (11Mbps) or 802.11g (54mbps) attachment for the laptop. [me personally im getting a linksys 802.11g addon for mine.

Well that's enough typing for me :)

Oh... those routers dont include a Cable or DSL modem which you will need to get seperately and must have a LAN connection.

Have a read here

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tommyboy

Thanks for the reply Stan some useful tips there,To be honest the laptop is just for browsing without having to be beside the existing hub but as time was running out I decided to get the 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Cable/DSL3CRWE52196-ME as I won't need 54mb but could do with the firewall on this model and as you said if I need to do a lot of transfers I can just wire the laptop up :D , I'm waiting for the delivery since the nineteenth though ????

Thanks dude

P.S How do I close this thread

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

only a mod can close it....
    a mod, or god.... ( who ever is closest)

Advertisement