Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlapping <div> sections in HTML

Options
  • 14-12-2003 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

I'm attempting to do a HTML layout using <div> tags. Everything is working smoothly in Opera, but in Internet explorer, my content column overlapps my footer. I can stop this using a pixel value for the height of the content div, but I want it to be scalable. The width property of the div accepts a percentage value, but for some reason, the height doesn't seem to.

As I said, everything is fine in Opera, but I need cross-browser compatibility. I assume there's a way around this. Anyone got any ideas?

Here's the code from the CSS for the styling and positioning:
    /*******************************************************************************
    Positioning rules
    *******************************************************************************/
    div#header {
    font-size: 30px;
    margin: 0;
    color: #000;
    background-color: #fff;
    border-top: 4px solid #000;
    border-bottom: 1px solid #000;
    height: 57px;
    }

div#leftbox { /*** No side padding or borders, to avoid the IE5.x box model problem ***/
    position: absolute;
    left: 0px ;
    width: 12%;
    border-right: 1px solid #000;
    padding-top: 10px;
    background-color: #a9b;
    }

#middlebox {
    margin: 0 13% 0 13%;
    width: 74%;
    height: 82%; /*No effect for some reason.*/
    /*border-left: 1px solid #000;
    border-right: 1px solid #000;*/
    padding: 10px;
    background-color: #fff; /*** This div has a background to cover the 2-tone body BG ***/
    }

div#rightbox { /*** No side padding or borders, to avoid the IE5.x box model problem ***/
    right: 0px ;
    width: 12%;
    border-left: 1px solid #000;
    padding-top: 10px;
    background-color: #a9b;
    }

div#footer {
    font-size: 12px;
    background-color: #fff; /*** The header and footer have backgrounds, to cover the 2-tone body BG ***/
    border-top: 1px solid #000;
    height: 9%;
    width: 100%;
    bottom: 0.5%;
    }

It's #middlebox and #footer that are overlapping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

can you upload the page to a server and publish the url so we can check it on someone else's browser? also have you the latest version of IE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Maybe try "top:90%" for the footer layer?
    Or are images causing the layers to be resized?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The site is still in pre-release development, so I might not be able to get it up on server, but I'll see what I can do. At the very least, I'll post screenshots here showing the problem.

I have the latest version of IE. I'm aware that it has certain problems with displaying <div> sections, thus it wasn't obeying the rules. What surprised me was that I could stop it overlapping width-wise, but not height-wise. Of course, I can limit the height, but seemingly not by a percentage value, which is pretty annoying.

The header (the only part of the page currently with images) has an absolute height specified which matches my header images, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Hey guys - here's the shot of the Opera layout:

18938Opera_shot.jpg?1020

And then the IE layout:

18938IE_shot.jpg?9733

I still can't seem to solve this one. I'm baffled by the fact that percentage values wont work for the #middlebox height, but absolute pixel values will. I've added "position: absolute" to #middlebox, but to no effect.

Again, I changed "bottom: 0.5%" in #footer to "top: 98%; height: 2%;", but to no effect.

Advertisement