Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NOW SMS - I need help setting this up

Options
  • 15-12-2003 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

NOW SMS
    Does anybody know how to use this and if you do please tell me. I want to know firstly how to get a smsc connection. Please help. Thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What do you need it for?

AFAIK, a SMSC needs a direct bind into each of the mobile operators. The number of SMSC binds is limited and they are very expensive. You also have to guarantee a volume of SMS traffic that will make it worthwhile for each operator to talk to you.

If you are operating a short code you need to have your SMSC bound into each operator and as far as I recall the connection charge is about €2,000 per operator plus a coulple of hundred Euro per month maintenance charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

I want to use this to send MMS messages from the internet to my mobile for free. Is this possible? If not, do you know of anywhere I can do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The software you were looking out is for commercial applications and not for the "home user". Their are few places left that will allow you any Internet to mobile connectivity for free especially MMS which is seen as the premium gift from the Go's by most mobile operators. The only way to get MMS onto your mobile for free is to plug it straight into your PC (which kinda defeats the purpose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

MMS is in reality a combination of SMS and WAP over GPRS. As a result you'll find that free MMS will be rare given that:
    1. Someone has to pay for the SMS that goes to the recipiants phone telling them that there's an MMS waiting for them, and
    2. you'll get charged for downloading the MMS over GPRS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

What you might be looking for is a PI (Push Initiator) - ericsson have a handy one you can download.
    This sends a PAP message to a PPG (Push Proxy Gateway) that then relays the MMS notification to an SMSC which fires out the SMSs to your handset.

As the Corinthian said all of these legs are going to cost you cash :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement