Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-box live bannage

Options
  • 15-12-2003 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

I have heard that M$ will ban you permanently from Xbox live should you have a modified Xbox. I was considiring buying one for the sole purpose of modding it to play back media being streamed across my network. If I was to leave the original 8gig hard disk in it, would there be any way to enable/disable the modchip to allow me to play online? i hear that the BIOS must (?) be modified also, so this may make it impossible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yup apparently they do. havent got one myself but it seems that if ye want to mod it and use xbox live you need to also install an external switch that will allow u to select which bios u boot up from. also you'll need to lock your hd if you replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

what do ya mean, lock the hard disk?

it is feasible that i could just stream stuff over the network... but theres a nice 80gig sitting right here beside me....

also, i heard that there was some way which doesnt require a mod chip?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mralphabet

Depends really on the mod you put in...
    "Cheapmods" require the external switch - But you can get ALX2+ R3 For example which is the mod im using that lets you boot up from either M$ Bios or the mods own bios.. by simply holding the power button down for a few seconds quite handy. M$ will ban you if u try to play any game using the mods bios - Which unfortuntly means you cant play those copied backups on Xbox Live :( So you have to drag out the ole originals :P So just be careful on the type of mod you get... If you are replacing the Xbox Hardrive you will need to lock it 2 the box .. which is easy enough done .. just have a search on google or something for Xbox Scene some good guides there as for the mod .. Xbox-Mod.co.uk .. Is where i got mine .. Reasonbly priced.. You just have to be handy at the ole soldering or at least know somebody that is.

Regards
    Andy

Oh and at the moment theres no other way of doing the things you want to. Without modding the box .. There are rumors of M$ bringing a media center out but known them it will be shoddy excuse of the one we can get on the modded box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

hmm.. u know there's a switch with the new mod-chips that allows u to turn off & on the mod-chip. but u have to turn-off the mod-chip before going to play on x-box live . so that mean that ya can't play "back-up games" :) on x-box live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    hmm.. u know there's a switch with the new mod-chips that allows u to turn off & on the mod-chip. but u have to turn-off the mod-chip before going to play on x-box live . so that mean that ya can't play "back-up games" :) on x-box live.

Also if you are playing a "back-up" game using yer mod chip but not connecting to xbox live and that game has options like get new levels or skins etc , ie any stuff you have to connect to get and you try and go get it, M$ are also able to ban ure xbox cause even though your not playing online you have connected to the service.
    So ye have to be very careful! best option is to unplug the net connection altogether if playing a "back up".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

yeah pretty much but I think heard that ya can get update games via PC and ftp it to the x-box hard drive...

I think now

Note: anyone from M$ whos reading this I don't own a mod-chip.....................well not yet :p

simply by holding down the button, you say.....i dont like the sound of that, would it be possible to boot up in the wrong mode by accident and get banned as a result?

It would be very hard to do that! When the Xbox is loading m$ Dashboard you get your lovely green Xbox logo flashing just before it boots into the DB. When you hold the power button down and activate the mode .. You will see it Flashing a big Blue Logo at ya with the name of the mod.. then it boots into EvoX (or wat ever DB you want to put on there) So unless you have the game in the drive already turn the power on mistakingly hold down the power button for 3 seconds turn away from the screen and manage to connect to Xbox live (In which case well done you didnt think that was possible) youll be fine!

i guess thats not too bad...

whats this about "locking the hard disk"? will I be able to stick in a bigger one?

• Advertisement

Well you can do if you think its worth it.
    I just stream media from pc ..but if you have a hdd lying around you might aswell.. i dont really know the ins and outs of it but again several guides out there. would be handy for faster loading of backup games or backups of dvds in divx etc ..
    But what i dont know will it cause you a problem on Xbox live or not... you would need to find that one out. again check Xbox scene should be something there about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alcho0

no problem with xbox live u Have to have your hard drive LOCKED to be able to boot the ms bios to play or connect to live and with your harddrive locked you will still be able to ftp into it in modded mode.....make sure you unlock your old harddrive before u take it out or it will be un-useable to anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

If you buy an xecuter 2 series modchip, there is a new bios just after being released for it that stops accidental connection to xbox live when the modchip is enabled. So u need never worry bout getting banned.
    However what was said before still stands, in order to be able to boot your xbox in the first place with the ordinary way (without a modchip/disabled modchip) your hard drive must be locked. It's only with the modchip disabled can you connect to xbox live:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

new bios is 4980... (-;

8gig HDD's, they arent even worth teh power they cost to run. maybe i say this because i just got a 250 gig today :)

show off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Ok marclar just to clarify.

M$ will ban you if you connect with your mod chip enabled. Any chip you buy though will almost definately have an external switch to turn it on or off. I'd recommend sticking with the Xecuter 2 ones. They even come with LED's to tell you if they're on or not.

If you upgrade your HDD you must also lock it so your xbox will work when the chip is disabled. This is easily done with the new Evolution X dashboard. You just run a program once.

When your drive is locked and your mod chip off, you basicly have a factory standard xbox again.

Note that you can't use your "backups" on Xbox Live as this requires the mod chip to be turned on which gets you banned:D

i do not plan to replace the hard disk. and as for backups, how many could you fit onto an 8gig HDD...about 2 max? not interested. all I want is for it to play DivX via the network on the big TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

You should be able to do that alright no problem (I say should cause I never tried it).

Just get yourself Xbox Media Player (XBMP) or Xbox Media Center (XBMC).

i suppose it would be too much to ask to get these running off an unmodded xbox?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

I think will have to flash the 4980 bios to Xecuter2 Bios 4981 again now to fix the error 13 bug.

Advertisement