Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Xbox Live gamers out there?

• 15-12-2003 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I realise that this is a gaming topic, but Xbox Live can only be played with broadband so it is relavent. I have been playing Xbox Live for some months now, and there are quite a few Irish gamers out there. I am curious as to how many are on these boards, and how many of you on these boards plan to have Xbox Live in the new year. My gamertag is in my sig.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Been mostly focusing on the single player side of PGR2 but had a good few battles online. Xbox Live just works. We have our connection shared with a router and the Xbox just setup the connection itself. I really like the ability to talk to whoever im racing. Kinda removes the real "loner" element of playing a multiplayer game.

Im kinda pissed EA wont just fuk off and include Live in their Fifa games.I know many of my mates would get an Xbox/Fifa/Live for that alone.

Are there any soccer games planned with live included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

I think MS have a game coming out just after xmas with Live enabled. They are still in talks with EA with regards to them signing up their games to the Live service. They think it will be done by next April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Have a Xbox for a year, really want to play online, just got broadband......then realise no more money for the Live Kit :D:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I got an xbox last Christmas... this Christmas have got xbox live starter kit and signed up for IOL Broadband (now up a running).

My main problem is I'm not sure how to get it all connected so it will work.

My computer and ADSL modem is up stairs in one of the spare bedrooms. My 28" widescreen TV is down stairs in the lounge. I have been looking for an XBOX WIRELESS ADAPTER MN-740 but can't find one.

I thought it would simply be a case of plugging xbox adapter into the modem some how and the other bit into the xbox downstairs and away we go!!!!

Would it be that simple ....... IF I CAN FIND A MN-740 WIRELESS ADAPTER?

Any help gratefully received

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I am playing a lot of MotoGP2 lately. Its much more competitive since they published the patch that removed the glitches. I also love RTCW. I know its old enough at this stage, and devours bandwidth, but its just so good online.

Konami are working on a football game that will be released next Christmas that will have online play. I am hoping that it will be a PES3 clone. That would be class! Its a year away, but there will be enough to keep me busy until then.

• Advertisement

I have never seen the Xbox wireless adaptor for sale over here so I dont think its available over this side of the pond yet. However, there are plenty of other options. Check out this site here. This has lots of wireless adaptors and wireless routers. If you are going for a router, make sure it appears on the compatability list here.

However, I think that the best site for you is this UK one here as it has a list of XBL compatable wireless ethernet bridges. Hope this helps!

Great, I'll check them out. Thanks

How does this look? Click here!

What else would I need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yup, I play the ol' Xbox online and its well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I had been playing Rainbow 6 and Unreal Tournament but haven't really had a chance over the last couple of weeks but I'm going to treat myself and get MotoGP 2 this weekend or maybe XIII. Oh decisions, decisions.

Any other good games coming out for Live soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

PGR2 is brilliant on Live. Top Spin also. If you're anyway into sports go for the XSN Games. Crimson Skies is surprisingly good. I have too many to list but there's not one that i'm totally unhappy with.

Kleefarr, that looks good! There are plenty that are compatable with the Xbox, so any quality brand will do, and Linksys are good. Just make sure you get the wireless adaptor at a competitive price from a UK supplier. It's always best to get from the UK as opposed to the US as the postage is cheaper and quicker, and we are all in the same time zone if anything goes wrong.

I have PGR2 wrapped under the tree and I am chomping at the bit to get at that! I imagine I will be online playing it on Christmas Day. Same for Rainbow Six 3, it burys Ghost Recon: Island Thunder from what I understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Spud_Gun
    Kleefarr, that looks good! There are plenty that are compatable with the Xbox, so any quality brand will do, and Linksys are good. Just make sure you get the wireless adaptor at a competitive price from a UK supplier. It's always best to get from the UK as opposed to the US as the postage is cheaper and quicker, and we are all in the same time zone if anything goes wrong.

I have PGR2 wrapped under the tree and I am chomping at the bit to get at that! I imagine I will be online playing it on Christmas Day. Same for Rainbow Six 3, it burys Ghost Recon: Island Thunder from what I understand.
    Why go to the UK, when you can get this gear cheaper in Ireland
    (This is an 802.11b device, not the 802.11g device suggested above. I'm not sure I see the point in paying extra for a 54Mbps wireless connection to your 512Kbps DSL service).

Given the exchange rate at the moment, getting this stuff from the US is very attractive, as long as you don't get stung for VAT, and you get a Universal power supply. There's not much point in saving €20 if you have to spend €15 for a replacement transformer.

This is an 802.11b device, not the 802.11g device suggested above. I'm not sure I see the point in paying extra for a 54Mbps wireless connection to your 512Kbps DSL

If the chance comes to get a higher connection speed, I will. It saves me buying the faster stuff later.

I want to be able to use PC, Laptop and Xbox at the same time, if necessary.[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Been playing Midtwon Madness3 since i got the machine, but been playing counter strike all week.

i must be playing the wrong games, cause i have yet to meet a single person from the south, and just one fom the north.

Originally posted by kleefarr
    This is an 802.11b device, not the 802.11g device suggested above. I'm not sure I see the point in paying extra for a 54Mbps wireless connection to your 512Kbps DSL

If the chance comes to get a higher connection speed, I will. It saves me buying the faster stuff later.
    Well, you're never (and I mean never in the lifetime of any of the hardware under discussion) going to get a DSL connection speed the equivalent of even 802.11b in Ireland.
    I want to be able to use PC, Laptop and Xbox at the same time, if necessary.[/B]
    By all means, splash out on 802.11g for your laptop connection, if you expect to be doing lot of PC to laptop work. But 802.11G won't get you a faster internet connection and it's totally wasted on your XBox.

Well, you're never (and I mean never in the lifetime of any of the hardware under discussion) going to get a DSL connection speed the equivalent of even 802.11b in Ireland.

You don't seem to have a lot of faith in the development of Irish Technological businesses do you.

By all means, splash out on 802.11g for your laptop connection, if you expect to be doing lot of PC to laptop work.

I do, so I probably will!

Thanks for your comments anyway.

Kevin

You don't seem to have a lot of faith in the development of Irish Technological businesses do you.
    Faith? That's one word for it!

It's got nothing to do with Irish Technological businesses. Nobody is delivering 22Mbps (or even 11MBps) over existing residential copper, anywhere in the world on a commercial basis.

The VDSL running at 40Mbits in Hong Kong is cool :D.

Originally posted by Zion
    The VDSL running at 40Mbits in Hong Kong is cool :D.
    I'm sure it's lovely.

How much of it is running over existing residential copper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

My gamertag is Legend IRL and i hav had live for about 3 months,

im playing Rainbow Six 3, Counter-Strike, Project Gotham 3, Return to castle wolfenstein.

Wot uploads do ye all hav?

How much of it is running over existing residential copper?

Not too sure for the speed of 40Mbits line but for 10Mbits up/downloading speed it's €20 per month

It's got nothing to do with Irish Technological businesses. Nobody is delivering 22Mbps (or even 11MBps) over existing residential copper, anywhere in the world on a commercial basis.

I don't think we'll stay in the "copper" age indefinately.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Why go to the UK, when you can get this gear cheaper in Ireland
    (This is an 802.11b device, not the 802.11g device suggested above. I'm not sure I see the point in paying extra for a 54Mbps wireless connection to your 512Kbps DSL service).

Did you see the UK price? Have a look here and you'll see it for STG£64.61 which is 91.77 Euros. Its only a few Euro cheaper, but its still cheaper. Still, thats a decent Irish price and a good site. I haven't seen it as cheap as that anywhere else in this country.

Will any of you XBL gamers be online over the Christmas period?

Originally posted by Spud_Gun
    Did you see the UK price? Have a look here and you'll see it for STG£64.61 which is 91.77 Euros.

That's €91.77 at the interbank rate - your credit card will charge you a couple of euro more than that. And then there's the fact that VAT in Ireland is 21%, not 17.5%, and DSL Warehouse are required to charge you Irish VAT, not UK VAT. (Unless they expect to do less than €35,000 worth of business in Ireland).

I don't think we'll stay in the "copper" age indefinately.
    You'll be using copper long after your Xbox and Wi-Fi gear have exceeded their sell by dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Another Xbox LiveR here. Nick in Sig.

playing the following on live at the mo;

Project Gotham 2 - fantastic game
    Rainbow six 3 - Amazing game, and great tactics

You'll be using copper long after your Xbox and Wi-Fi gear have exceeded their sell by dates.

I think satellite is already here and will probably become more wide spread, offering speeds well in excess of 512kps.
    Just waiting for it to get a bit more reasonably priced.
    Companies such as Blueyonder have still got to take a foothold. If there is a demand, there will be a supply. Once you have a high speed connection, once the time is right most people will go faster and faster given the choice... I would anyway.

Spud,

Will any of you XBL gamers be online over the Christmas period?

I will If I can get it connected up!! 8)

• Advertisement

Class stuff! Are you waiting on the wireless adaptor to set up your XBL account? Have you configured a gamertag already? post it up here if and when you have one. I will be spending a lot of time on PGR2 over Christmas I imagine. ;)

Advertisement