Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another stupid question

• 15-12-2003 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Hi again folks,

My Wireless adventures continue......

Everything seems to be working fine with the DLink-604+ modem/router I got. Noticed one thing though, which concerns me slightly. When the PC is not on, the ADSL light occasionally flashes on the router front panel, which supposedly indicates activity on the line. Am I using up my cap when the PC is turned off - i.e. should I unplug the router as well???

Yours in confusion.....

AG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

The Pc is not on, but is it plugged in? U should get some kind of link indicator light on your nic also, but this is obviously only if your machine is still plugged in.
    The other possibility is that your router is sending out a broadcast every now and again for routing tables on other routers. This should be like only every few minutes maybe -how 'ocassionally' are we talking about??. This used to cause ISDN users a hell of a lot of hassle. U can configure the router to use IP spoofing I think which means it won't broadcast or something like that. Don't quote me on this though cos it's kinda all new to me - I'm doing my Network + exam revision this week. Either way though if you can give me more details I can tell you the problem.

Advertisement