Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom armies

Options
  • 15-12-2003 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Since people have been complaining about this board being dead, I'll try kick-start a thread:

Have you ever made a custom army for a GW game, and if so (or planning to?), what was it and what did you want to create and what was your inspiration/theme?

I'm currently planning up (and begun initial building of) an Imperial Guard army:

"101st Phantine Skyborne" themed on the WW2 101st airborne paratroopers. I've found that the Armageddon Steel Legions troopers fit the bill very well, although I'm unsure about what to do with some of my Heavy Weapons choices. I want to have Mortars and the like (in addition to the Heavy Bolter & LasCannon) but there are no models available, so I think it'll be extensive modelling all 'round.

I've given the army characteristics taken from the army generation chart at the back of the new Codex Imperial Guard.

My inspiration for this has mostly been attributed to "Band of Brothers", although other factors are also in there, such as accidentally discovering that the miniatures in question look the part rather well when painted a certain way. I also took the name "Phantine Skyborne" from one of the Gaunts Ghost novels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I havent done this myself, but if you had 2 WW2 style armies (you have one and get a friend to make one too), and have some good old WW2 battles. Would be hard to do and expensive, but if you had it all done proper it would be brilliant looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

i would be up fer a game against ya!

off to post a new thread-idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

My Guard army is loosely based on a US infantry regiment (none in particular, just any old GroPos will do!)

I made sure that the camo scheme I used on some of them was based on a real camo (NATO standard). Initially I painted the rifles in colours, but the more recent troops have had their kit painted properly.

I have yet to try the reality themed army with anything other than the guard, mainly 'cos I haven't got any ideas. Mind you, a Russian themed Orc army........lots of blokes, not enough guns.....hmmmmm!

Advertisement