Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

java 1.2 to 1.4?

Options
  • 15-12-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Im currently studying java 1.2 with AWT, etc. im studying for the java exam in 1.2 (code 310-025) but found the 1.4 exam (code 310-035). i know there are some differences, but what are they? like is it easy to just start the new 1.4? most of the material i have is for bith 1.2 and 1.4 (just little bits are 1.2 specfic like the AWT, and some are 1.4 specfic, like Swing). i was told if i know AWT, swing is fairly easy. is this true?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://jchq.net/

Goes in depth on the exams and thier differences. As far as I remember Streams is dropped from 1.4 and more questions about the assert command.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

You are better of known Swing. It is what the industry accually uses. There is only a few minor differences to setting up a Swing GUI and an AWT GUI. so it should not be difficult for you to change over to Swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A lot of SWING is built upon the AWT classes.

There's also the general rule that the name of a class in SWING is the same as the name of the class in AWT but with a 'J' in front of it, and it's part of the javax.swing package.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

AFAIR Swing/AWT is not part of the 1.4 exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

thanks for the info. ill see which way things are and try the 1.4. so since swing is out of the exam, is there extra in it compaired to the 1.2?

• Advertisement
Advertisement