Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Spirit Thingamajig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

So, will there be a move made on this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I agree, would make a nice forum. I hated 56k you lose out on so much.

And if you're a newbie are afraid to ask people to download ISO's for you.
    So yeah bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I dont have broad band (yet), but I buy a lot of magazines with freeware software (mostly for linux), as well as ordering things from cheapbytes.com. (for example all the mandrake 9.2 updates on cd for 12 euro (incl. s & h).

I'd be willing to make an organized list of stuff I could burn for people. Quite a few distros and large applications there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Rabies
    what about :
    patches for games.

As Mercury_Tilt has said, this practice has been going on for months on the Battlefield 1942 board. Nobody pays for nothing as long as the CD is passed onto the next person. It may take a week or two, but in the end everyone has the update as long as they asked. It can be done on such a intimite boarsd as the Battlefield 1942 one due to the fact that everyone does know each other well enough and truct each other enough to do it. Im not too sure how it would work on a large scale forum designed specificly for it.

The only think I make sure is that nobody posts their own contact address up. You would have to be quite silly to do so but it may happen. PM's are the way of things.]

• Advertisement

List of my goodies: This site is 90% linux before most of you go looking.. Not much of use to a windows user unless youre planning to install linux.

Lots more to come. Ill put W2K service packs and some Linux manuals to add aswell.

Like a previous poster suggested, I think posting CD's in a SAE is the best job (if anyones interested).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

right, so who do we have to beg to get this up and running? seems like people are itching to get things moving.

could we have it up and running by the end of the week?

Idea's for CD's/DVD's to be distributed:

Linux Distro's, Apps & Updates
    Windows Service Packs
    Windows Updates (I believe there's a website that does the whole lot as a single download somewhere which you can then run off a CD/HD to bring windows up to date).
    CD/DVD full of the latest game demo's/patches/updates/mods
    Unified driver CD/DVD (up to date compilation of the most commonly needed drivers)
    CD/DVD of all the latest movie previews from apple.com/trailers etc.
    Shareware/demo apps complitations in various categories.
    Essential utils discs.

did i miss anything?

with a little effort on the part of the contributors we could make this quite organised, so there are multiple sources for lots of the stuff, so nobody is too overburdened with things to do for other people.

for instance, i don't have broadband yet, but i've got a dvd driver coming in the next few days, and a 20gb usb hard drive (might be getting a bigger one if this takes off) and could use it to move data around from people with broadband, but no dvd burner and burn stuff for them and others.

this could really work out well for everyone, so i hope it gets up and running quickly.

i think someone should draw up a preliminary charter asap though before we get up and running so everyone knows where they stand from the word go.

then maybe we can decide on a couple of mods to keep an eye on things (might need a few though if it takes off as there could be lots of people trying to break the rules out of ignorance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Patience young grasshopper.

If it does take off it'd need a good name.

Suggestions ? We have Pix n Mix , so we could have Share n Care :p

Originally posted by yellum
    Share n Care
    And the teletubbies could mod it too....

Its all easy until you get to a name isint it. "Bandwidth Hoggers" i think may refelct the forum well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by yellum
    Patience young grasshopper.

If it does take off it'd need a good name.

Suggestions ? We have Pix n Mix , so we could have Share n Care :p

Feel the Burn?

Rip N Burn?

Another possibility (which may get shot down by admins) would be to create a boards ftp site of stuff that is being asked for on a regular basis?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by henbane
    Another possibility (which may get shot down by admins) would be to create a boards ftp site of stuff that is being asked for on a regular basis?
    that would use up a lot of (expensive) boards bandwidth though. they'd much rather we did it ourselves. :D

hmmm. a name.

and where to put it. should it go in society (community spirit) or sci/tech (its gonna be mostly geeky stuff).

how about CD requests or download requests?

i think it might need one or 2 sub categories too if it takes off like it looks like it will.

Well it could go under thr Community Tab and since its people offering the services of bandwidth or cd burning or dvd burning or whatever else someone wants to offer the community you could call it "Giving back"

Community > Giving Back

A boards ftp site is an ok idea, but the members still need to download those large files anyway.

There used to be a boards direct connect hub before, is it still there ? That would be more useful than an ftp site as it saves the bandwidth for the website itself.

If this no longer exists another should be set up, with legal downloads available ;)

It would have to go under Community. Society is filled enough as it is.

Giving back is good, but then you also have the whole Taking Away part too ;) .. I seem to like mentioning bandwidth in mine as its all i've though of so far: Bandwidth Hoggers, Bandwidth Beggers, Bandwidth Burners. Must start studing though.

ftp idea isint the best for the reason people still have to download them, its not really changing anythign execpt adding another mirror. also it will eat into boards bandwidth [here i go again :) ] and would probably require another server maybe as it will need a hell of a good few hard drives if there plans to be loads of linux ISO's and hugh Windows Service Packs and many 500mb game patches and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by henbane
    The idea was brought up for people who are on dial up not being able to download large files, so putting them on an FTP won't really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

How about "Boards Bandwidth Bandits" (tm)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Two thumbs up for this forum idea!

icon14.gif
    icon14.gif

if you want to get all huggy feely about it, how about 'Pay It Forward'? :D

kinda like the movie. someone helps you out, and instead of paying them back directly (covering their costs obviously), you pay it forward. only without the little annoying kid.

edit: actually, it's kinda growing on me. :eek:

Hehe, I like that vibe666

Probably a trademark or copyright infringement though. Something alongh those lines would be cool though.
    Lets get a few good ideas together and post a poll.

might be, but the film company making a movie about helping other people out then stamping on us for putting their theories into practice would be a bit nasty.

what about 'proxy burners'? :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

how about the B.D.G Boards download group or other variations

• Advertisement

Pay it Forward, cheesy enough to make me smile. I like.

yeah, it's really starting to grow on me.

I think its a... winner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Great idea, terrible terrible name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

"Broadband by Post" maybe?

Ok, I'm terrible at coming up with names for things. But I thought I might as well throw the idea out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Best idea ever. I can send people 500 year old history articles no-one cares about, it'll be brilliant. Though I dare say it'd involve the use of An Post, a state body that I don't have an altogether great working relationship with.*

Simply marvellous forum this could be, rushing into it not advise I. It'd be pleasant to see it have some sense of direction, lest it end up wandering aimlessly.
    There's no shortage of good will about, as I know many could attest.

Here's hoping for this forum to work.

*I hate every last one of the whores and plan to end their package robbing ways with a subtle firebombing of the GPO. ****s.

Originally posted by Mark
    Though I dare say it'd involve the use of An Post, a state body that I don't have an altogether great working relationship with.*

*I hate every last one of the whores and plan to end their package robbing ways with a subtle firebombing of the GPO. ****s.

Mark,they lost a package I posted containing a E180 piece of hardware. I thought because it was airmail it might be easier to track, but no. I'm currently going through an arcaicclaim process. They have no idea what happened.

If people are posting anything expensive I advise using regestired post.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Here's a few names I came up with (they're a bit gay though so just for
    the craic give them a read):

DOGS + CATS=
    Download Our Great Stuff + Consider Actually To Send

GODS - Get our desired stuff

HUGS - Help us get stuff

SOFT - Sharing Our File Transfers

GIFTS - Great Irish File Transer + Sharing (I like that one kindof)

GARDA SWAP - Get All Required downloads and Share With All People

(whaddya think, crap?? yeah I thought so too)

SPANNING - Share Program [and no no illegal not good]

GUD TAGS - Given urls, download them and Go Share

GUD TANNING - Given urls, download them and No No Illegal Not good
    (hell I'm bored)

HTPEODU - Help the poor eejit on dialup {that's me}

And yes I do have a lot of time on my hands. Stuck in a Fás course with
    nobody to teach me and I can't go home [this past six months it's like
    this - I just surf all day. It's killing my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please take your lithium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement