Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom!! We're talking about your freedom!!

Options
  • 15-12-2003 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Freedom from the reds and the blacks and the criminals
    Prostitutes, pansies and punks
    Football hooligans, juvenile delinquents
    Lesbians and left-wing scum

Freedom from the ******s and the pakis and the unions
    Freedom from the gypsies and the Jews
    Freedom from the long-haired layabouts and students
    Freedom from the likes of YOU!!!!!

Ah, the good old Tom Robinson Band from the 1970s. Any poets out there able to update with a more topical set of issues?

Methinks it would be timely.

BTW for sensitive wet behind the ears souls who may not be aware of Tom Robinson, the above lyrics were meant to be ironic and tongue in cheek. He was a gay trendy soclalist.

Probably still is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

this has what to do about politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    He was a gay trendy soclalist.

Probably still is.

He's married now IIRC. To a woman. And he's definitely not trendy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

If you think that's bad, the world's smartest man, Richard Dawkins, wrote an article in last Saturday's Guardian about how 16 year olds are too mentally underdeveloped to vote.

It still didn't stop a certain "Tom" MP rapping about the YOOF franchise:
    A sickening preview of how New Labour might woo the 16-year-old vote is given on the website of a Blairite MP, whom we shall not name for fear of embarrassing his children. In a special section addressed to "Teens", he remarks that "Politics is cool, m'kay" and adds:

"Hey, chill with the anti-Europe vibes already! You totally won't be able to wear the word 'fcuk' on your shirt anymore if we break our connection with France, y'dig? ROFFLE! So, cut it with the bling bling and do something for the community, man. Join in and take action with any of the groovy sites we've listed, or just drop Tom a line for a quiet rap by the electronic email. Tom's well-up on the Interwebnet, and he won't harsh your buzz or dis you down the line."

And this isn't remotely ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Hobbes
    this has what to do about politics?

Er. Well. There's the subject matter of the lyrics. Which is overtly political, if rather dated to the 1970s when it was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    how 16 year olds are too mentally underdeveloped to vote.
    Plenty of 26 year olds are in the same boat, it's just that they get to steer it. Living in the land of "I'm going to vote for party X because my grandfather told me to" we could say the same about quite a few people aged 36, 46, 56, 66, all the way up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I love how Tom Robinson (whos work I have always liked - 2 TRB lps even!) has become what he railed against to a large degree...it happens to all of us!

As for voting - 16 years olds with the power to install sinn fien is worrying!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Plenty of 26 year olds are in the same boat, it's just that they get to steer it. Living in the land of "I'm going to vote for party X because my grandfather told me to" we could say the same about quite a few people aged 36, 46, 56, 66, all the way up.
    Sorry, I should have linked the article. Dawkins said it's to do with the level of physiological development occurring in our frontal lobes. They're responsible for abstract thought and continue to evolve until about 18, 19, 20, sometimes 21. His argument is it's actually dangerous - for the kids and the country - if children, unable to make mature ethical judgements, are responsible for the run of the country.

Of course, the development of these lobes depends a lot on stimulating them from an early age. If they're not got by a certain age, yer kinda screwed.

So definitely educate kids about politics, voting, issues etc, get those lobes developing but wait until they're properly developed. I think that's what you're referring to. It's a problem.

That's Dawkins' rational argument against the 16 vote. Labour's argument is phoney and a vote puller.

Anyway, what the hell's this thread about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Anyway, what the hell's this thread about?

Its sort of like a father proudly telling his offspring, "Ya know kids, I was a communist":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I can't possibly be berrated for posting off topic on this thread now can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nope....you can't....cause I'm locking it...

jc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement