Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A low tech alternative to a LAN

• 15-12-2003 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I recently had Eircom's ADSL service installed and, when I get around to it, I'll put in a wireless network to link the PC's in my house. However, as an interim measure, and just because I needed to access the net on my "old" pc, I simply connected it to the Netopia modem using the USB ports (the "new" PC is already connected on an Ethernet cable.

Is there any downside to this simple measure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Locutus
    I recently had Eircom's ADSL service installed and, when I get around to it, I'll put in a wireless network to link the PC's in my house. However, as an interim measure, and just because I needed to access the net on my "old" pc, I simply connected it to the Netopia modem using the USB ports (the "new" PC is already connected on an Ethernet cable.

Is there any downside to this simple measure?
    No - the Netopia Smart Modem is a really nice piece of kit for precisely this reason. (In fact, if I could find a vendor that sold these in Europe at a reasonable price, I'd probably recommend them along with the likes of the DLink 504 for IOL and UTV customers who want to upgrade, though at GBP it's over priced - the $110 that it sells for in the US would make it a fairly attractive option, especially for people with an XBox or PS2 that want to go online).

Advertisement