Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zizou Zidane wins Player of the Year

• 15-12-2003 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Well altough I thought Henry would probably take it I had hoped Zidane would win.

Won it by a good margin too!!!

1. Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid) 264
    2. Thierry Henry (Arsenal) 186
    3. Ronaldo (Real Madrid) 176

4. Pavel Nedved (Juventus) 158
    5. Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid) 105
    6. Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man United) 86
    7. David Beckham (Real Madrid) 74
    8. Raul (Real Madrid) 39
    9. Paolo Maldini (Milan) 37
    10.Andrei Shevchenko (Milan) 26

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

I think it is well deserved he is by far the most skillfull football player around at the moment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Well Deserved

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For what? He didn't do a whole lot this year in fairness.
    Nedved should've won it tee bee haitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

He didnt do alot ?? I watch the spanish football on Sky Sports most weeks he may not have been in the news as much but his preformances have still been top class the points system show this .

P.S - Nedved has bee playing brilliantly also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

lovely he definitly deserved to win it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

Henry was robbed IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I thought the result wasn't until tonight? And I thought Zidane would finish 3rd, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Tray
    Henry was robbed IMO.

i agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Agreed. Henry should have won it. I try to watch Spanish football, especially Real, when I can, and he has not been outstanding. Henry has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He definatly deserved ut.Is a great player and a way better all round player and team plater than Henry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Darren Huckerby should've won it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Henry was robbed IMO.

Come on Ruud should have been ahead of Henry if this Award is judged on on last Seasons performances. You ask what has Zidane done equally what has henry done in the last Year certainly no more than RVN. Zidane is a class player and deserves his award Henry is an Outstanding Indivdual player , Zidane is too and he is an oustanding team player to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Ruud ahead of Henry. You have got to be joking, there is no way that Rudd could be pegged above Henry. Not only does Henry score some cracking individual goals but he sets up nearly as many again. Last season he ended up scoring one less than Ruud but with somewhere along the lines of 15 assists.

RVN is a good goalscorer, I'd even go so far as to say great goalscorer but he is not even in the same class as Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As a pure goal scorer, Ruud is superior. However, once you factor everything else in, Henry is superior.. The amount of assits alone justifying that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im biased, but i cant help feel that Henry was robbed , oh well theres always next year.

Oh and muppet, theres no point in trotting out your red-tinted view anymore, Henry is offically the better player :)

(TFTF - On the other thread relating to this, muppet reckons rudd provides 'more'. God knows what more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Ah i knew you would get someone saying RVN is better than Henry..........

Thats why he came sixth then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ronaldo is only hitting proper form again this season. He's deadly in front of goal. Did anyone see Zizou's control to set up his goal last nite??? CLASS!!! Can't wait till I go to the Bernabau after xmas to see them. Beckham is loving it over there too, he's got so much time on the ball he's spraying the balls all over the place. Could be a proper candidate next year the way he's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Henry is getting better and better this year. If Arsenal manage to win the Premiership this year and continue their run in Europe a bit, then I'm sure Henry will walk away with Player of the Year next year.

Even the RVN nuts have to agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

question ought to be what the F$CK ronaldo is doing there, fat b£str*d. He scores 5 goals in a world cup season and gets world player of the yr, its over teh course of a season that these things should be judged, not the name of the player and who they play for.

pointless competition if its so unreflective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i just learned the news right now.
    surprising and not, surprising because everybody thougt (in the soccer site i use to go) that nedved deserved it, and also because the rumor said that henry would get it. but it's not surprising considering that zizou is the best player on the world.

damn! what a week for the frenchies, our feminin handball squad won the world championship yesturday in an incredible match against hungary:)

there is a match right now on canal +.
    the zizou's friends against the ronaldo's friends. (charity match)
    i hope you can see it either.

beckham is playing with zizou.

Yez can say whatever you like guys. the fact of the matter is the when Ruud goals were leading UTD to last seasons title (earlier this year) and winning the Golden Boot for top striker in the Prem Henry and arsenal were capitulating under the pressure in the premiership and Europe.

Ruud is the best striker in the prem and is better tha henry, the fact that he gets very few assists doesn.t bother UTd supporters.
    Posted By Dustaz
    Oh and muppet, theres no point in trotting out your red-tinted view anymore, Henry is offically the better player

:rolleyes: :D:D:D My Das Bigger than Yours. Grow up[

QUOTE]
    Posted By dustaz
    (TFTF - On the other thread relating to this, muppet reckons rudd provides 'more'. God knows what more)[/QUOTE]

I explained perfectly well on the other thread what I meant by "more". If somone is too stupid to understand a simple point of opinion its not my fault is it? Of couse you,re always right so anyone having the cheek to have a different opinion than you must be wrong .:rolleyes:

Originally posted by smiaras
    Judging by that logic Beckham is better than Raul

EDIT and a few years back Wanchope was better than Keane.

so everyone's wrong then? At the end of the day it's just someones opinion. Not everyone will agree and they will no doubt have their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by The Muppet

:rolleyes: :D:D:D My Das Bigger than Yours. Grow up[

It has nothing to do with the size of anyones dad. According to Fifa - the governing body of football - Henry is the better player. You're the one who is always saying thngs like "well, the FA said this, the FA said that" to support your opinion. Im merely using this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Couldn't we just agree that they are different types of players and that they are both incredibly good at their roles :)

Zidane is above all of those players imo, by much further than the poll suggests. He has such incredible vision, hes just pure magic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

i know its stupid argument here but what if a team of

11 henry's v 11 rvn

played each other!

who do you think would win??
    just thought i would throw that one in there

as regards this argument refer to my other post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tbh Henry does it all at Arsenal, Rudd is better at what he was bought for and that is scoring goals, we have super Gary Neville putting in super crosses this season :D

According to Fifa - the governing body of football - Henry is the better player.

You forgot to put " nah nah nah nah nah" after that.:D

Its all down to opinions and mine is that Ruud is better than Henry, I am entitled to that and everyone else is entitled to theirs. We'll have to agree to differ.

End Of.:D

PS. Happy Christmas, I hope Santa is good to you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by lili
    there is a match right now on canal +.
    the zizou's friends against the ronaldo's friends. (charity match)
    i hope you can see it either.

beckham is playing with zizou.
    I saw the first half on Eurosport and bits of the second half as I was watching Crush Proof (anyone see it?:) ). I think it was 3-3 the last time I saw it, Zidane got 2. Ronaldo's team was full of the Brazilians.

It is great to watch players when there is no pressure on them, Ronaldo is just amazing and uberwolf, I don't think the coaches are going to vote Ronaldo 3rd if he done nothing all season. How could you slag such an innocent and smiling fella like Ronaldo? We obviosly think Henry should have won because we see him every day but we didn't see Ronaldo and Zidane last year (before Beckham move and Sky shows all the matches).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Why does the world player of the year have to be a forward or a winger (Figo couple years back) So a Full back or Centre back is never or could never win it. What about a defensive midfielder ??

The award might aswell be picked by a crowd of school childern. You would get the same result.

PS I know it is picked by managers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Ruud is the best striker in the prem and is better tha henry, the fact that he gets very few assists doesn.t bother UTd supporters.

I think you'll find alan shearer is and has been the best striker in the premier leauge for the past 10 seasons or so.

Originally posted by SAXA
    Why does the world player of the year have to be a forward or a winger (Figo couple years back) So a Full back or Centre back is never or could never win it. What about a defensive midfielder ??

The award might aswell be picked by a crowd of school childern. You would get the same result.

PS I know it is picked by managers
    Thats a very good point. I have to say though it is a lot easier to say who the best striker in the world is than a defender because they are not the most creative players in the world and its hard to judge a world class defender because they can't be judged by goals scored or assists as its not their duty. From the list of ten only Roberto Carlos (who isn't very defensive minded) and Paulo Maldini are defenders. I think the coaches who vote have certain characteristics in mind which most defenders don't possess.

My 1000th Post :)

• Advertisement

List of every manager's votes.

Complete list of players who got at least one 3rd place vote.

The 8 countries that voted for David Beckham:

Azerbaijan
    Czech Republic
    Fiji
    Hong Kong
    Namibia
    Niger
    Philippenes
    Solomon Islands

Just shows you what marrying a Spice Girl and dressing like one can get you.;)

Also, Korea voted for Rivaldo as the second best for some reason. Paul Scholes deserved more then 2 third place votes and not one Irish player made the list:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Originally posted by SheroN
    I think you'll find alan shearer is and has been the best striker in the premier leauge for the past 10 seasons or so.

Dont think so Sher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by pickarooney
    For what? He didn't do a whole lot this year in fairness.
    Nedved should've won it tee bee haitch.

Its player of the year not player of the season so far , think back to last May when he smashed home a left footed volley to win the European Cup , bit different to Henry smacking a few goals past Bolton , Zidane deserved it one of the best players to ever play the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

Originally posted by RasTa
    Dont think so Sher

...whether we think so or not I am afraid that Shearer has definitely been the best in the prem for eons now. Is he ever going to stop:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jEt|Dino

no heskey ?

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I saw the first half on Eurosport and bits of the second half as I was watching Crush Proof (anyone see it?:) ). I think it was 3-3 the last time I saw it, Zidane got 2. Ronaldo's team was full of the Brazilians.

It is great to watch players when there is no pressure on them, Ronaldo is just amazing and uberwolf, I don't think the coaches are going to vote Ronaldo 3rd if he done nothing all season. How could you slag such an innocent and smiling fella like Ronaldo? We obviosly think Henry should have won because we see him every day but we didn't see Ronaldo and Zidane last year (before Beckham move and Sky shows all the matches).

it ended with a 4.3 for ronaldo squad.
    it's so bizarre to watch a match so correct, i had the wish to shake the players:D
    the little brazilian forward impressed me a lot (i don't remember his name, something like .....inho).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Also, Korea voted for Rivaldo as the second best for some reason..

they must like theatre. his performance against turkey was pretty convicing if u didnt see the ball hit him on the shin. ;)

Advertisement