Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are your kids watching tonight?

Options
  • 15-12-2003 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/2156831?view=Eircomnet
    Toddlers watch adult TV dramas
    Monday, 15th December, 2003
    Grainne Cunningham

NEW research shows children as young as four are regularly watching hard-hitting adult dramas.

Children have a right not to be "bombarded with images which are little more than a combination of money, sex and violence", said Ray Dooley, chief executive of the Children's Rights Alliance, yesterday.

And Green TD Eamon Ryan stressed parents needed to be more vigilant.

The research, carried out for the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI), found children as young as four were watching television well after the 9pm watershed, when programmes such as the violent police drama 'The Shield' are screened.

Topping the list of favourite programmes among the 4-6-year-old age group were 'Footballers Wives', screened from 9-10pm; 'Coronation Street' and 'Emmerdale'. Seven-to 10-year-olds were also watching the popular soaps which frequently feature sex, murder and other violence; while the third most popular programme for this age group was the prison drama 'Bad Girls'.

The research was based on figures supplied by Nielsen Media Research.

The Nielsen figures revealed children's viewing patterns on the four Irish channels RTE 1, Network 2, TG4 and TV3 during 2003.

The results showed children under 10 watching TV3 prefer 'Footballers Wives' and 'Bad Girls', but figures for other channels showed children's programmes were more popular.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well some parents will not not tape thier soaps and watch them when the kids are in bed pretty irresponsible IMHO. So the let the kids watch with them :rolleyes:

7:30 pm to 8:30 pm being resonible bed time for children is also Soap time on a lot of channels but in our household that is known as the mad hour, when choas gets to reign while pjs are put on and the kids get chased and tickled and then a story when wore out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yeah I heard that on the radio yesterday, my god ....

I'm 20 now, but when I was a child, I watched cartoons - in fact, I wasn't even allowed to watch 12s til I was 12, and not allowed watch 15s until I was 15!! Never mind 18 movies!

Kids these days loose their innocence waaay too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They had it on the Gerry Ryan show this morning. A 5 year old took a carving knife to her friend (stopped in time), assuming because Itchy and Scatchy (from The Simpsons) could do it, so could she.

Advertisement