Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor > mainboard

• 15-12-2003 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if i put a 2.8Ghz processor (800mhz system bus) into a mainboard that can only recognise up-to 2.4ghz cpu's (400mhz system bus),
    woud it do any harm to the cpu???
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 P_Doddy

It's hard to say ...

Technically it shouldn't affect it ......

The question is .... WHY?

P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

why would it affect it Or why do i want to know??

i want to know because i have a motherboard, but i will be getting a better one in a few months, so i might as well get a good processor ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 P_Doddy

Question ... Why would you want to put a processor into a mainboard, that the mainboard doesn't support ....

Are you hoping it will work??

P

yes.. just for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

It would probably run at some very slow speed. Besides you'd be best upgrading the CPU and the motherboard togther.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

dont do it man. if u wreck something then you have no chance of selling it on. at least if its in good working order (chip+mobo) then you can get some cash back from them instead of having to just throw em in the bin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Just buy a CPU for your current board now. In a few months time upgrade both the CPU and the motherboard. P4' s hold their value well enough besides they probably will have changed the format of the boards and cpus in a few months anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yes it might work but not @ 2.8Ghz it would run at about 1400Mhz half the bus bandwidth, half the clock speed.

Give it a go it wont damage your processor.

joe.......

i think ill get a good processor for christmas and get a board to match it, when i get money..
    the board i got for free.. so its not too bad if i mess that..
    and im pretty sure the processor should be alright (but slower as joePc said). ...

thanks for the suggestions :D :ninja:

Advertisement