Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invocation [Neal Stephenson]

• 15-12-2003 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

This poem entitled Invocation appears (as an invocation) at the start of Neal Stephenson's latest novel Quicksilver.

I think anyone who has sat for hours trying to write something worthwhile would enjoy it.

Anyways I liked it:

Invocation

State your intentions, Muse. I know you're there.
    Dead bards who pined for you have said
    You're bright as flame, but fickle as the air.
    My pen and I, submerged in liquid shade,
    Much dark can spread, on days and over reams
    But without you, no radiance can shed.
    Why rustle in the dark, when fledged with fire?
    Craze the night with flails of light. Reave
    Your turbid shroud. Bestow what I require.

But you're not in the dark. I do believe
    I swim, like squid, in clouds of my own make,
    To you, offensive. To us both, opaque.
    What's constituted so, only a pen
    Can penetrate. I have one here; let's go.

Comments

Advertisement