Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian B*******

Options
  • 15-12-2003 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

My car insurance is due to expire the 15th of next month so I got my quote from my current broker today and it was €1760 down from €2300 that was with Hibernian after doing the Ignition course last year driving a 98 Astra 1.4 club.

I have a full licence over 3 and a half years and have been driving for over 5 years, 1 year in my own name.
    I called Hibernian directly and they qouted €2200!!!!!:rolleyes:

So I called Quinn direct and they quoted €1780

Then I called AXA and they QUOTED €1360!!!!

Hibernian harp on about their ignition course bringing down the price of insurance for young people etc Bullshít.

AXA direct are cheaper by €840!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

have you tried Quoteline, they are sometimes cheaper :
    Direct Line Numbers:
    To speak to one of our staff directly.

Anthony 042 9359019
    Denise 042 9359022
    Maria 042 9359082
    Patricia 042 9359046

www.quoteline.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Good old Hibernian eh? Pity all us (not including you of course) bikers are stuck with them. With the exception of Carole Nash of course, but thats not a realistic option for the under 25's

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

The ignition course isn't what it used to be in fairness, it was great when it came out but now its quite sheet. With a person in your situation Irish1, Quinn and AXA are always going to be cheaper because they're the only 2 cos. that take named driver experience into account. Now although Quinn and AXA may be cheaper in your particular case, hibernian may be cheaper in another i.e. if a person had a Full No claims Discount for example.

The best advice i could give to ppl is to shop around when it comes to renewal time because different insurance cos are cheaper than others with respect to a particular persons driving history as displayed above. Ppl are going to see a big difference in the way insurance is conducted in 2004 with the implementation of IFSRA (Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority) and their goal of providing more transparency in the market which can only be good for the consumer.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by bazH
    have you tried Quoteline, they are sometimes cheaper :

www.quoteline.ie

€2160:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

AXA are cheapest? Are you sure? :eek:

I am insured with Quinn Direct for €1250. AXA quoted me €2300 (and told me I would be better trying Quinn)!

Hibernian would have been €100 cheaper than Quinn if I did the Ignition thingy but I didnt bother.

Mind you, this is my first year driving in my own name (with full license)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Hibernian are significantly cheaper than any other insurance company for my quote -€1100 fully comp on a 2 litre BMW.

They're also the only company to offer a no penalty points discount, and the ignition course is still the only sensible solution for a lot of young drivers... most people I've spoken to cant speak highly enough about them, but theres always going to be people with certain criteria that their quotes won't be competitive for...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Insurance prices go up and down quicker than a hoor's knickers!
    Your best bet is to get yourself a mug of (strong) coffee, a pen and paper, and the golden pages. Ring as many brokers and companies as you can. Expect to hear loads of crap music while you are on hold (don't forget that they 'value your custom' - me arse)

Make sure that you ask what comes with the policy and what the excess is.
    Compare them all as best you can.

I do this every year and end up saving myself a fortune. It can even pay to ask the person on the phone (broker / company direct) if that is the cheapest they have - I find that with the AA you will be offered a quote but have always got a better price off them (for an almost identical (if not better) policy) by just asking (I wouldn't mind but they are supposed to be working for my best interests)!

This year I forked out €600 even for a '89 2L BMW (which they regard as a 'performance car')(I have 10 years NCB and (somehow :confused: ) a squeaky clean licence). This was with AXA through the AA. The original quote they offered me was for something like €680 with Hibernian. My wife ('00 206 1.1L) was offered an insurance renewal for €590. I asked them was this the cheapest they could offer her and they said 'no' - if she took out a new policy with them (same company though) she would save €140 odd!

Killian
    ps how's that coupe of yours Ken?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Insurance prices go up and down quicker than a hoor's knickers!
    Tell me about it! :D

My renewal with Hibernian in August was €1350

1998 Audi A3 1.6 (v.€11000-12000)
    29yo
    Full L 7-8years
    3 years as named driver
    5 years NCB Fully comp in my own name
    No points

I put my details (age as 30 though) into their online quoting system for a laugh seeing as I will be 30 in a few weeks.

Quote- €750 !!

A. What made my premium drop by nearly 50% in 4 and a bit months??

&

B. Can I cancel my policy and then take out a new one for the €750??

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by Calibos
    I put my details (age as 30 though) into their online quoting system for a laugh seeing as I will be 30 in a few weeks.

Quote- €750 !!

A. What made my premium drop by nearly 50% in 4 and a bit months??

When I was taking out a new policy with Quinn Direct 3 months before my 25th birthday, they said they'd take me as a 25 y/o because that's the age I was for most of the policy. I reckon that alone saved me at least €500 (next cheapest was AXA, over €700 more at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by kbannon
    I have 10 years NCB

I thought the most you could use was 5 years ? You may have 10 years driving with no accidents but perhaps not a 10 year NCB :confused:

• Advertisement

I dont know - I assume that you are correct but they took this detail down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

@Calibos When in a renewal your age is calculated against the Renewal date and therefore you where 29 not 30. There is different rates depending on age. There are other reasons as to why the price came down such as a rate change etc. You can go and cancel your policy and take another one with them but its not really worth it as you will lose the 4 months so far towards your NCB and you will not get 2/3 of your money back as they will most likely apply short terms rates when calculating your refund.

@Jip Axa will give you a 7 years NCD as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

As has been already said, shop around. The companies have tables that are used to calculate your premium. So say for example, Hibernian had more accidents with women drivers aged 35-40 last year, the premium will go up significantly. Your own driving record is not so important, the group you are in is.

Every year a month before renewal, I'll get the renewal price and check with AA usually, check a few online sites (never any better for me). And if you get a cheaper price, go back to your current company and tell them. They might be prepared to match it.

I've no loyalty to any insurance company. It's just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by a_ominous
    I've no loyalty to any insurance company. It's just business.
    And they have no loyalty to you. My grandfather was with the same insurance company for many years (and was even an agent of theirs) and as soon as he hit the age where companies can refuse to cover you* they started to charge similar prices to what they would have charged 21 year old blokes. It's not like he's even been held liable for an accident...

They seem to have little if no respect for anybody.

*you know the way where the company you're with must quote you but the others don't have to once you're over a certain age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Try these http://www.brittoninsurance.com/ . More than likely they will not quote you directly. Buit they will follow up over e-mail. Saved me about €1,000 this year on insurance.

Originally posted by kdevitt

They're also the only company to offer a no penalty points discount, and the ignition course is still the only sensible solution for a lot of young drivers... most people I've spoken to cant speak highly enough about them, but theres always going to be people with certain criteria that their quotes won't be competitive for...

I'm an excisting customer and I have done the Ignition course and there €840 more than AXA, you can sing that anyway you want they were trying to rip me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Originally posted by kayos

@Jip Axa will give you a 7 years NCD as far as I am aware.

Its 6, also what kayos said about them refunding you is correct, they will rip you if you cancel. What you gotta do is weigh up the penalty versus your savings and make the appropriate decision.
    Originally posted by Silent Bob

My grandfather was with the same insurance company for many years (and was even an agent of theirs) and as soon as he hit the age where companies can refuse to cover you* they started to charge similar prices to what they would have charged 21 year old blokes.

I'm sure this was the case a while ago whereby most insurance cos won't take on new business over 75 or 70 depending on the co but they were obliged to renew existing policies albeit charging a stupid price.

Now 2 or 3 months ago Royal and Sun Alliance were Sued for Age discrimination and was well publicised at the time by a 75 year old man who they refused point blank to quote and he was successful. This in turn changed the way insurance was conducted for ppl in this age bracket. No co will refuse to quote for ppl in this age bracket anymore they may just require a proposal form to be manually filled in and will charge above the average rates since in fairness they *can* be a greater risk.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I'm an excisting customer and I have done the Ignition course and there €840 more than AXA, you can sing that anyway you want they were trying to rip me off.

Don't give a flying **** what they want to charge you - I'm right in what I said. Axa's tracksure scheme is a ****ing disgrace, and as I pointed out, no other companies are rewarding penalty points free licences. I have no loyalty to any insurance company - moved from One Direct to save €200 just a month ago. (even though hibernian underwrite their policies)

You got a more competitive quote form someone else, thats what a free market is all about, no one was trying to rip you off, grow up

Originally posted by kdevitt

You got a more competitive quote form someone else, thats what a free market is all about, no one was trying to rip you off, grow up

Well you see I disagree because I was led to believe that Hibernian would reward me for 2 things:

1. Successfully completeing the Ignition course
    2. Having no penalty points

Instead they were the MOST EXPENSIVE quote I got so they were trying to rip me off by leading me to believe they were doing me a good deal.

So Hibernian might talk the talk with a good marketing strategy but thats about it.
    :)

When it comes to insurance, if you believe the marketing then you get what you deserve. If you sign up for a scheme whereby you are obliged to participate for a number of years then you should expect to get fleeced for the subsequent years. This applies to the ignition scheme and also to many of these systems whereby you can have a no-claims step back (where you have an accident and you don't lose all your NCB but you have to stick with the co the following year).
    If you get a more competitive quote (as kdevitt said) off a different company then go for it - I assume the money is better off in your pocket!

• Advertisement

Oh I agree 100% but I just believe that I was misled.

Anyhow AXA have given me a very good qoute so I'm happy enough, I really just wanted to let people know that if your around my age with experience as a named driver your better off shop around than go do the Ignition course.

Just offering advice thats all

no you weren't misled, you just believed the spin.
    They never said they were cheaper. they merely stated something like 'stick with us for x years and your premium should go down in price'. They cannot comment on what others will charge you next year - they just know they're going to fleece you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 corracramph

www.brittoninsurance.com

I have got insured with them and they are very competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by corracramph
    www.brittoninsurance.com

I have got insured with them and they are very competitive

Thats the 3rd time you have mentioned it. Stop spamming. I assume you work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

my details 27yo
    5 yr named
    full L 3 yrs
    1.4 corrolla

decided to go out on my own insurance this year. I would not pay 1000's for insurance for 1 year. Best quote I got was Hibernian on the 123.ie site. It was 940 euros or near it.

the closest rival was axa i think with e1400. I did the ignition course (which i tought was excellent in Limerick)

Got quoted E634 for insurance. I think that was excellent for first time. I have my house & life insurance with them also though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There is no substitute for shopping around ! For the past 3 years I have played all the companies against each other and managed to save about 200 or 300 yoyos each time.

This year I was quoted 1220 by Hibernian so I made a few calls and got it down to 970 yoyos and here's the funny thing is it was with Hibernian !!

Even though I'm nearly 40 I still get screwed for cover, I drive an Alfa 156 2.0 sportivo, if I had a 2 litre Toyota Avensis I would only pay 700 ! What gives ??

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

first off, in response to rymus...

"Good old Hibernian eh? Pity all us (not including you of course) bikers are stuck with them. With the exception of Carole Nash of course, but thats not a realistic option for the under 25's"

i know from previous post that you drive the same bike as me the dragstar 650 (good choice btw hehe) but i disagree with you on your opinion of carole nash, i'm only 22 now but when i turned 21 i rang carole nash for a quote on the bike, hibernian were looking for €2200 then carole nash said oh we can do it for €1490, saving of €700 for me :) just last summer went to renew it and out of curiousity i rang hibernian again to see if they might have changed there minded and saw sense to offer a decent quote, now 22 they wanted €1920 i think it was but alas carole nash dropped it to €1400 even though i was expecting the insurance to go up as nearly everyone i knew said it had gone up for them by between 10 and 20% so seeing it drop €100 was a nice suprise :)

back to the original poster though and insurance quotes, i've been told there is a place down wexford way or there abouts i think, cant remember the name of them but they are very good for younger drivers, my brother is 27 with full license and his wife 25 on provisional, they were getting quotes from €2200 upto €3200 from hiberian and axa and all them, but he got the two of them insured on a mazda 323 1.4l for i think it was €1200, i know he saved over €1000 when doing it, a few work college's were insured with them also and getting very good prices, cannot think of the feckin name though to save my life (somethin' like craine&craine), will find out and post it tomorrow for you though unless someone else thinks of it before i get back.

Also on a final note, if you saw that recent report on rte news, last week or the week before aout insurance costs, they were saying people getting varied quotes from €1000-6000 depending on the insurance company, but in all the prices they were giving out the cheapest for all were AIG, have no idea who they are or where you could find info on them, but it might be worth looking into :-\

actually just found a link for AIG after a little searching on google http://kol.ie/7001923 maybe that will be of some use :)

Advertisement