Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Corrie

Options
  • 15-12-2003 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

She was accidentaly killled in a war zone while trying to protect terrorists. Big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

i have no connection to the left but its clear to see that what isreal is doing is wrong,
    however because the jews have managed to infect every part of the american media and politics there views are the predominant one.

i wonder if this guy who wrote this article and lives in some posh jewish suburban home in america far from the middle east realises what it is like to be kicked of your land and forced to live in a refugee camp and have helicopter gun ships coming in and attacking you killing your women and children, having bulldozers coming in and pulling down your houses. the only thing you can do is fight back by inflicting the same on them, and if that means sucide bombings so be it.

belive me i would love to see peace in the middle east but i also understand that the palistinans cannot tolerate what they are putting up with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by spanner
    i have no connection to the left but its clear to see that what isreal is doing is wrong,
    however because the jews have managed to infect every part of the american media and politics there views are the predominant one.

That's true to an extent. Although there are plenty of Jews in the American media who are not pro-Israel or Zionist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    She was accidentaly killled in a war zone while trying to protect terrorists. Big deal.

Ok I'll bite...
    That's assuming all Palestinians are terrorists by your logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by sovtek
    That's assuming all Palestinians are terrorists by your logic.

No, it doesn't actually. It implies that some of the specific people that she was trying to protect were terrorists.

Biffa has clearly abandoned the concept of Innocent until proven Guilty, though.....or is just being particularly blunt with his wording. Even the most pro-War-of-Terror media are generally careful enough to issue press statements about mounting missions against suspected terrorists, but I guess the distinction is purely semantic for many people these days.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

The worrying aspect of the article I thought was that this self appointed "mastermind" has no concept of or concern for the law or for basic democratic principles.

He advocates guilt by association, because another member of the same group was arrested for sheltering a suspect, he extrapolates that Rachel Corrie was therefore protecting terrorists and deserved her gruesome death.

He seems to think that the driver of the bulldozer (and thus the Israeli state) have the right to summarily execute anyone SUSPECTED of protecting terrorists, although I couldn't find any evidence of there being tunnels near where Rachel was killed.

He seems to lack any sympathy for the victims (Palestinian) or understanding for their motivation.
    Another Bush advocate of the "if you're not with us you're against us" mantra, a very dangerous world view IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by bonkey
    No, it doesn't actually. It implies that some of the specific people that she was trying to protect were terrorists.

as far as I remember she was protecting a house from being illegally bulldozed whos occupants was a doctor who let ISM stay there. They were given a warning to vacate in advance (which is a bit odd to do if you are habouring terrorists, of course it doesn't make it any more legal).

Point is with boards.ie
    - Rachel Corrie has been discussed in detail.
    - Those that should care don't and another thread probably isn't going to change anything.

What I would like to know is which side of the new wall rachel was killed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭uaobrien

Okay, I'll admit, I'm throwing in my two cents without reading everything that has been written in the thread. However, let me throw some perspective on this from the way Americans view things.

I just got back from being in the States for the last few years and I got so annoyed at this kind of crap. Apparently for some unknown reason, Americans refuse to take a centralist view of the world and its events. They prefer to cling to totally opposite extremes of world view. Without patronizing, let me say you have the conservative republicans and the liberal democrats, as we all know.

Before I left for the U.S. I would have classed myself as a conservative, and I still do to some extent. By conservative I mean our, the Irish, view.

When I got there however, I found one group of close to Neo-Nazi type dictators who wanted to control everything and their counterparts, a bunch of hippies in business suits who wanted to permit everything. The politics simply put was, if the Nazis (read Republicans) said the sky was blue, the hippies (Democrats obviously) would say it was pink. There is no sacred ground where they won't argue and no point on which they will agree.

With Rachel Corrie, the hippies immediately (and correctly IMHO) pointed out that an American national had been killed by a foreign power while taking part in a peaceful protest. The hippies (who are usually anti-Israel ironically) neglected to say she was protesting for the rights of Palestinians. So of course the Nazis (being pro-Israeli - huge irony) jumped in and instead of rallying to the fact that a U.S. citizen was killed by a supposed ally, immediately attacked the character of Rachel and her academic history.

Now I'm not pro or anti Israel, I merely mentioned the factional loyalties to demonstrate how the death of a college student can be so manipulated into something its not.

My personal nemesis was a guy by the name of Dennis Prager. He has a talk radio show that's syndicated throughout the U.S. He's totally conservative. He was another "Rachel Corrie betrayed her country" fanatic, see:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/dp20030325.shtml

Also take a look at the archive for his opinion on how Europeans are amoral, deluded and too intellectual, its a common view amongst American republicans.

Not once when I was in the States did I agree with the Republicans, even though I class myself as conservative. However, I can also say the Democrats weren't so great either.

On one end you'll always have the Dennis Prager's and Seth Monroe's. On the other end you'll have the Michael Moore's (who I think is a good guy, but I still take what he writes/says with a large pinch of salt).

I learned in my time there to not let it get to me, they're too extreme in the U.S. to view the world in terms of a girl dying for what she felt was right.

Advertisement