Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defeating Geometry Problems in New TVs

Options
  • 15-12-2003 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new big screen 4:3 TV (28 or 29 inch) but I'm very disappointed with the general level of crappiness of picture geometry I see on the TVs in the shops. Most of them seem to have problems showing vertical and horizontal lines as being straight.

For instance on many of them, scrolling ticker-tapes or the black bars of a 16:9 picture are curved. Similarly, vertical objects like goalposts or lamp posts are distorted.

Can anyone recommended a big TV that that won't make me nausious watching a GAA game or is there a solution by accessing something like the TV's Service Mode???

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Can't say I've noticed, though I don't see too many bigscreen 4:3 TV's these days, with the exception of the Sony WEGA 29LS. I didnt spot any disfiguration on that set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

There is a way to calibrate your TV. This link has a really comprehensive guide on how to do it. Unless you are confident in your technical abilities don't go messing around with your TVs service menu. Usually settings in the service menu cannot be reset back to factory settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

actually whiile we're on the subject of service menu's and the like, if its not in that link ( havnt checked yet) does anyone have any info or links on getting into service menus or installers menus r whatever on sony tv's in general or the 44" in particular, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

The service menu on most Sony tv's can be accessed by holding down the + & - programme buttons on the TV when you power up. Then press the menu button on your remote 3 times. Be very careful when making any changes in the service menu as it can screw up your TV. Better off writing down all the default settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For instance on many of them, scrolling ticker-tapes or the black bars of a 16:9 picture are curved. Similarly, vertical objects like goalposts or lamp posts are distorted.

I doubt if these effects can be cured using service menus. These menus will allow adjustment of static convergence problems like pincushion, trapezoid and colour gun alignment etc...

The distortions you appear to be experiencing are due to poor power supply regulation and decoupling of the various circuits in the TV, if you turn down the contrast control you will notice the distortions decreasing though not disappearing completely

For distortion free pictures at the size you mention (44") a Plasma or TFT screen or a projection unit offer the best distortion free pictures.

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I doubt if these effects can be cured using service menus. These menus will allow adjustment of static convergence problems like pincushion, trapezoid and colour gun alignment etc...

If the problem is the black bars on widescreen images being bent out of shape, most likely that can be fixed with the trapezoid setting or similar from the service menu. The service menus I have seen also have quite similar options to the geometry options on a PC monitor, so most likely you could cure most straight line problems with a bit of patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

My bad, I assumed the poster was talking about the distortion at the edges of a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen due to to white horizontal bars or straps on the likes of the sku tv guide or sky news etc.

You are of course correct, most modern TV's have adjustment for static distortions from the service menu's !!

Merry Christmas All !!

Tinky

Advertisement