Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winamp5 released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the world is a better place now that winamp 3 is gone!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've been running the beta for a couple of weeks and I'm most impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ah ffs, i only installed the beta less than 2 weeks ago:rolleyes:

HIGHLY reccomended

works for me i'm downloading it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I prefer Winamp3 by a long way. It almost never crashes (certainly less than the final Winamp5 beta), the Wasabi interface kicks ass, and its got multi-playlist support which I've found I can't do without. Until Winamp5 emulates that lot, I ain't switching.

[Edit]And the rumours say that Winamp3 development will continue in the background until it is perfected. Long live Winamp3! *waves fist*[/Edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

ya winamp 3 was shíte
    ill give number 5 a go and sure we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I never really liked Winamp3. It felt really bloated or something (like the new Windows Media Players). I think this was because of their Wasabi thing.

This is from the official Winamp5 FAQ:
    Has development stopped on Winamp3?
    Yes. Winamp3 is no more. There will be some minor background development on Wasabi Player, but don't expect anything from that any time soon.

Winamp5 is a "natural update" from Winamp2 (unlike Winamp3, which was always like a separate project to Winamp2). So IMHO, no-one should stick with Winamp2 just because WA3 was crap, give Winamp5 a go!

Anyway it looks brilliant and the betas and RCs over the past few months never gave me any trouble, so it's solid as a rock.

In typical Nullsoft style, it will probably be tomorrow when winamp.com gets a big makeover. (They always wait a day before updating their site about a new release)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I prefer Winamp3 by a long way. It almost never crashes (certainly less than the final Winamp5 beta), the Wasabi interface kicks ass, and its got multi-playlist support which I've found I can't do without. Until Winamp5 emulates that lot, I ain't switching.

You mean the one that's never crashed on my system? And no Wasabi? Check the attachment! And you don't like the multiple playlists you can create in the media library?

when winamp3 came out i was so excited then after 2 minutes of installing it i reverted back to winamp 2.

been using the winamp 5 betas for a while now and i had only one problem with them and it was anytime i minimize winamp and then opened it again the window with the play pause fforward buttons didn't show up.

but that's fixed now in the full release

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by feylya
    You mean the one that's never crashed on my system? And no Wasabi? Check the attachment! And you don't like the multiple playlists you can create in the media library?

Would that be the "multiple playlist option" where you can't load more than one of them at once? And there's no up/down button on the playlist editor. Not really a problem for your average 20 song playlist, but it doesn't work well with my 2500 song lists.

I've crashed Winamp5b8 many times, but usually using Winamp3 skins, admittedly. But do you really want to use that giant blue square for playing songs? Not me...

I'm sure it'll be fixed in a forthcoming version, but I'll be waiting until then.

On a positive note, the "Random skin on play" is a nice option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have been using the rc666 release of Winamp5 for about a day now. I am running the rc666 version [as the release i got was actually Pro! :eek: ] and not the beta one, although i do have that downloaded.

I am quite happy with it. Havent been playing around with any old Winamp3 skins but have tried Winamp2.X ones and they work grand. I think the problem with the skins is nearly anything Winamp3 was buggy. The Colour Schemes things work well and do give a nice change. I like the notices of each song popping up down in the bottom right corner, have it switched on as default now. Its also good to see bigger icons for XP, was getting annoyed at the old Winamp 2.91 ones as they were just not big enough.

Also was the "Random skin on play" not in Winamp 2.X? I was sure the option was there, or at least something similar to it. And i have had large [ovwe 2000 song] playlists running in Winamp5 with no problem, i find it a lot smoother the most other media players.

I will deffo [probably] be buying the Pro when its released. For so long Winamp has been made for free and given me countless hours of playback :) ...

I would advise anyone to upgrade to Winamp5. Even more so once its released. Also extend the width of the Winamp window to get a second visualation. See here , right here for my screenshot.

yeh i'm thinking of gett pro how much it cost?

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    yeh i'm thinking of gett pro how much it cost?

No details on how much it will cost yet really. Winamp5 redirects you to this page when i click on More Info. Nothing on the page yet but i'd say there will be somethign there soon.

I doubt it will be too much though. Winamp has such a large market and a large percentage of it are loyal and will probably buy the Pro version in order to donate to Winamp. Its been free for so long they need a few donations :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Beats Winamp 3.0..... .....you know a program is really running when it takes 40MB RAM :D

I can't see the $14 version of Winamp 5.0 flying off the shelfs for some strange reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭patch

I never thought winamp sounded good enough to my ears.
    I'm using mymp3 at the minute..... far superior I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Anyone tried it with HLWC (Half Life Winamp Control)?
    If it works I'd definately buy the Pro version seeing as how much I've used Winamp and love it to bits. The only problem the is sorting out cash, yay xmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

I'm lovin' it :D It's just so responsive, looks fantastic and, well, it's staying :)

It is what it's.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

The way it truncates the 'The' from artist names in the media library does my bloody head in. Anyone know a way to fix(stop) this from happening? Media Library has quite a few bugs too. But overall I'm beginning to quite like Winamp5.

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    The way it truncates the 'The' from artist names in the media library does my bloody head in.

Thats actually a "feature" thats becoming more and more presant on all Media Players. Its the same with iTunes for one. I hate it too, very bloody annoying! I think it should give you the option of having the "The" or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Out of interest, was there a winamp 4? or did they just not like the number 4, god dam numberists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by BoB_BoT
    Out of interest, was there a winamp 4? or did they just not like the number 4, god dam numberists

2+3=5 :D

options>preferences>titles>advanced Title formating> turn it off

or if u don't like having tags on (i don't)

plugins>input nullsoft mpeg audio decoder>title/tags>turn off reading of tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

got it today never used it before im impressed very nice.........

thanks for the link...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sweet, that tags thing works in Winamp 2 aswell! :D I never knew that, used to individually remove them all!! What a pain that was!! Thanks Cr3m0! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The nice thing is that Winamp3 skins work fine with it, first thing I did after getting the Alphas was grab MMD3, it's wonderful:D.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I used mmd3 with winamp3 but I'm actually using and prefering the default modern skin for winamp5. I think it looks like a class job with the coagulated theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

classic skin is much faster than the new skin. I actually preferred the Winamp3 skin out of all of them, will have to dig up a copy of winamp3 from somewhere and rip the default skin out of it. (having the skin ripped from it is what it deserves :p ).

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Sweet, that tags thing works in Winamp 2 aswell! :D I never knew that, used to individually remove them all!! What a pain that was!! Thanks Cr3m0! :)

i aim to please :D

but actually only found this out because of a thread on.. yup u guessed it boards.ie

i like to have my mp3's tagged so they go on my ipod nicely sorted and named but i like to see the ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK# - TITLE.MP3 in winamp so i get all the info rather than just ARTIST - TITLE.MP3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've been using it since Alpha, and love it. for the peeps wondering, the same guy that did the MMD3 skin for Winamp3 did the new Modern skin for Winamp 5. :) owwwwns!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Winamp 5.01 Is Out Now!
    some bug fixes etc
    please see http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8748 for more info about it
    and check out http://www.winamp.com/player/ to download it

:D

Advertisement