Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG824M problems :(

• 15-12-2003 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Chaps

looking for some help with something that is driving me mad. I'm trying to get eircom istream solo (self install) to work with the above mentioned router. My connect is fine (50-60k dl speeds) and I am typing this while connected using the cayman pos that came with the self install package. I cant for the life of me get the netgear to work however.

I have rtfm about 50 times
    Tried resetting router
    Tried upgrading firmware
    Verified all the settings (router/user/password) umpteen times.
    The connection status section of the router setup screen shows the router picking up the line correctly as a 512k down/128k up line but this section and the diagnostics section just wont obtain an ip address for the wan port
    Going through manual again I read about certain isps limiting starter products to mac addresses so I have tried the mac spoofing which is possible with this router to no avail (used both the mac address of the cayman and the pc mac address)

Basically I am at my wits end, and would be very grateful if anyone has had any similar problems if they could let me know how it was resovled.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

can you not just set the ip address/dns/gateway info as static in router?
    or is the istream dynamic?

netsource meself so dont know about eircom starter dsl ips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Quorthon
    I am typing this while connected using the cayman pos that came with the self install package.
    There's part of your problem right there - the cayman isn't a POS - it's an excellent piece of kit that is, by default configured as a router, not simpley a passthrough "modem".
    I have rtfm about 50 times
    You're reading the wrong FM. You need to read the Netopia manual to "downgrade" the Cayman to be a "dumb" modem. Right now, your Cayman is listening for a DHCP request from devices on the LAN, and your NetGear isn't sending a DHCP request, so it can't get an IP address.

(Alternatively, you could just "dumb down" the netgear, and assign it a WAN address in the range that the Netopia is giving out, and make sure that the netgear is using a different subnet on it's LAN side).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

er not sure exactly what you mean ripwave but maybe I didnt make myself clear in the first post.

I dont see why I would try to get the cayman and the netgear to "co-exist". The netgear is a combined dslmodem/router/wireless access point. It should therefore be a "one-stop-shop" for my small network and I need the wireless access point working for my wireless laptop. Anway the netgear device should simply be able to connect to the net itself without the need to have another modem attached to it.

However, even when I have completely de-installed the cayman, I cant get the netgear to detect my wan ip or logonto the dsl service (even where the dsl signal light is on full green, the router status page detects the line ete etc). I can access the router setup fine, so my ethernet connection to the router is grand.

Thats why I re-installed the cayman -> purely as a fallback device so I could get online to try to get some help.

to C033ie - I believe istream is dynamic ip.

Does this make any more sense?

Thanks

Q

er not sure exactly what you mean ripwave but maybe I didnt make myself clear in the first post.

I dont see why I would try to get the cayman and the netgear to "co-exist". The netgear is a combined dslmodem/router/wireless access point. It should therefore be a "one-stop-shop" for my small network and I need the wireless access point working for my wireless laptop. Anway the netgear device should simply be able to connect to the net itself without the need to have another modem attached to it.
    Sorry, bad assumption on my part. (Though I think you wasted money on an all in one device when you already have an ethernet "modem" - you probably could have saved €50 by just getting a wireless router, and using it with the Cayman).

You didn't mention anything about VCI or VPI settings - have you got all that sorted out, and entered your PPPoE settings properly (yoru reference to setting the MAC addresses suggests that you haven't).

There are about 25 threads mentioning the DG824M on the broadband group - were any of them helpful?

to C033ie - I believe istream is dynamic ip.
    Istream is PPPoE. The PPPoE server will set either a dynamic IP address, or a static address, if that's what you've paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Ripwave

Thanks for your help. Actually its embarassing moment of the year for me because I was coming back here to say I had solved it all when I read your last two posts :)

Of all the frigging things - I had set the PPPoE settings, vpi vci and all that correctly - specified dns and so on - but I obviously hadn't changed or hadnt tested a change of the multiplexing method - default on the router is vc-based but eircom use llc :o

Its just like me to be going off with all sorts of ridiculously complex answers when the answer is usually much simpler, eh?

Anyway, I know I could have done it slightly cheaper but I think the netgear is an excellent device and I had ordered it prior to the latest round of free modem offers.

So happy days again :)

Thanks

Q

Of all the frigging things - I had set the PPPoE settings, vpi vci and all that correctly - specified dns and so on - but I obviously hadn't changed or hadnt tested a change of the multiplexing method - default on the router is vc-based but eircom use llc :o

Its just like me to be going off with all sorts of ridiculously complex answers when the answer is usually much simpler, eh?
    That's often the way, Quorthon. Good luck with your new setup.

Advertisement