Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Rebuild

Options
  • 16-12-2003 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have an IBM Thinkpad notebook type 2626 that has Windows 95 on it and a pentium II processor inside. When I go to System Properties on My Computer it says under System "4 00.950B" and under Computer "Pentium Pro(r)"

What I would love to do is re-install windows 95 and get it back to the status it was when first purchased. This is called rebuilding or reimaging I think.

After that all I want to do is add Microsoft Office and Outlook(if not part of the original Windows 95)

Is this very hard to do and any way easy?
    I dont have any software by the way. What I can do is download anything onto CD from the web and use this to load it onto the laptop if that helps. I can do this at work.

Can anyone offer me some help?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless you have a licence for Microsoft Office you can't install it, and if it's an OEM license you can only use on the machine it was supplied with.
    Check on www.micromail.ie etc for the price of a copy of office - If you are a student in a recognised body you might get office for about €165+VAT - and even then it would have to be the latest version and there is a query over downgrade rights on the latest retail packs. (if your machine won't handle Office XP or is it 2003 then microsoft may not let you install an earlier version under the same license ! )

By comparision www.openoffice.org is free.

Reimaging - I imagine the laptop came with CD's and would be fairly sure that IBM don't have any old ones.

Check in device manager to see what drivers you are using - as the only other way to do an install is to install the drivers one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

some ibms have a hard drive partition which if you boot from a floppy you can see and you can rebuild from that (it wipes everything on your hard drive so make sure that you've backed up all your data somehow (if you don't know what i'm talking about don't even go there)

Advertisement