Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Setup

• 16-12-2003 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Right, just got an SMC2804WBR 802.11g router and have eventually managed to get both my PC's and my laptop (with d-link 802.11g card) to see each other and be able to transfer files etc. 54MBs connection throughout house and 1ms pings, so cushty.
    Few things I encountered though which I would be glad of any suggestions on, the SMC 'manual' is less than useless !

1. Had to disable the built in DHCP option as I couldn't share my dial-up over it for some reason, even when I used the 192.168.0.x range So I had to leave my original 'gateway' PC to handle the DHCP and manually set its IP to the 192.168.0.1 My other PC and laptop now get their IP from this gateway PC.
    (UTV ADSL coming tomorrow, but as it's a USB modem I guess I'll have to leave it the way it is so as to share that connection).

2. Cannot figure out the WEP/WPA/802.x security settings for my laptop, the laptop is asking for a network key in hex format, but the router control page only shows up asterix. Anybody got a link to a better router manual which I may be able to relate to my router, there are no instructions in my manual at all ! I have a totally insecure wireless network now ! had to turn all the security off in order to access the network.

Any other links to 802.11g security settings/configurations would be nice also, as this is my first exposure to this protocol and setup.

I must say though this wireless thing is fabulous, streaming mpegs and mp3’s over the air like this. Can’t wait to see how ADSL sharing works out.

FYI for any prospective buyers:
    SMC2804WBR 802.11g router $99 ebay.com including p&p
    D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA card $55 ebay.com including p&p

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

how do you have it connected to your desktop? directly or via a hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I have two desktop PC's connected directly to the router via ethernet, one of them I use as a sort of server, i.e. all my documents/files/application backups/mp3s etc. are on this and it also has the modem I use to dial-up and a printer.

It's this 'server' that I have now manually given 192.168.0.1 and my other PC and my laptop now get their IP's from this 'server'.

[EDIT] It's really only the wireless secuirty part that's my main focus, I just can't figure out, how I'm suppsed to get my laptop to input a key (even if set to automatically obtain one, but how can it do this when it isn't allowed to access the network without one :confused: ) , and then there's WPA and 802.x settings under the router security tab also, haven't a clue about these either :p

Advertisement