Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eicon Diva ISDN and faxing

Options
  • 16-12-2003 10:12am
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I installed Hylafax on my ISDN router PC, and it looks like it won't work: faxaddmodem tells me
    ATQ0V1E1
    OK
    AT+FCLASS=?
    ERROR

Now I know that technically the Diva is not a modem as such, but it pretends to be one for dialup purposes - I'm quite surprised it doesn't do faxes.

Has anyone heard of a way to get this working? It's an external serial ISDN "modem" with analogue ports - I suppose all come to all I could plug a real modem into one of the ports, but yuck, like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

What's the exact type of Diva ISDN it is 2.01 PCI, 2.02 PCI, USB, Pro?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

External serial - Eicon Diva ISDN Modem is what I believe it's called - it's a terminal adapter with two analogue PSTN ports.

I actually remembered that my other server still has an analogue modem attached, and that the modem is connected to one of the Diva's analogue ports. I set up Hyla on it, ran faxaddmodem - no problem so far. But when I run faxmodem ttyS1 to try to activate fax sending, I get:
    dev/FIFO: open: No such file or directory

Hm. Mods, you might want to move this to Unix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Hi Paul,
    I think you're out of luck. The Diva T/A (which you have) doesn't support fax. You need something to interpret the analog signal of a real fax machine (i.e. a soft-modem running on the PC or a DSP in the hardware). Unfortunately the T/A has neither of these. The only solution (for faxing directly with the T/A) would be to use RVS-COM (http://www.rvscom.de) as it has soft-modem capability and supports the T/A.

Your method for connecting an analog modem via the POTS on the T/A is entirely valid though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thanks for the info, Fr D. I've set it up and got it working using the analogue modem.

Advertisement