Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat takeover

Options
  • 10-01-2000 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Rumours on CNBC that Esat will be bought by either BT or Norways equivelant.

Interesting implications for playing on UK servers.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Yeah Telnor of Norway have put in a $1.9 billion bid (or was it pounds), and unless some other company steps in over the next week it's theirs, but rumours are gathering that another company is about to make a larger bid....

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

give us a link lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Business Muppets, BT bid more over the weekend and ESAT are more likely to sell to them. If BT _do_ buy it, they'll merge the ESAT (plus IOL) with Oceanfree to make 1 big **** off telco.

Wonder how low those Eircom shares can go? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Ya jargha 'twas dollars and BT have bid $2.1 billion -This will probably be good for us gamers - with the cash injection in the short term anyway Esats prices will drop to try and take control of the market although BT have already shown great incomptency in britain with their internet policies. It remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

lets ask bubbles biggrin.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭FurY

If Esat is bought, Eircom shares will actually go up in value most likely. Both Esat and Eircom are telecos just waiting to be bought. If Esat is bought, it only leaves 1 other major irish telephone company that already has its foot very much in the door (which is a shame) for other global teleco companies to buy. Watch and learn. Besides, they will be open to offers very soon as the share aggreement that permits them from being taken over ends.
    Ps-SéaN/FuR

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If BT buy Esat the EU will probly get involved with competition laws and whatnot.

BT are none to happy about Ocean because the ESB are joint partners and they arent doing much to help and they're not making the impact they thought they would.

Aside from that, Dennis O Brien has some hangups about selling to the Norwegians.

Dont ye read the Irish Times? smile.gif

Regards,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

Shouldnt comment, but... G'WAN THE BT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

think it would have been better if theyd sold to telia/telenor, we might have seen a signifgant improvement in the quality of their service then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

too late now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

NTL is the dark horse in all of this... They have bottomless pockets and a vested interest in the Irish market (cablelink), and they were none too pleased at all when Esat got control of IOL/Postgem ahead of them.

The Norweigan company (whose name escapes me) seem only to be interested in Esat Digifone, but are prepared to buy all of Esat just to get it. NTL, on the other hand, would have no interest in Digifone, and just want the landline and Internet businesses. There could easily be a sale followed by a split...

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

BT's bid for ESAT has been accepted.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2000/0111/break1.htm

subject to shareholders agreement of course.

[This message has been edited by deRanged (edited 11-01-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Yes
    Very good

[This message has been edited by Asuka (edited 11-01-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Old Ser

BT pimps IOL and Esat now...

can you say easy money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Old Ser

BT pimps IOL and Esat now...

can you say easy money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

NO, i can never get the accent right...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well better integration in telecoms is always a good thing from a technical point of view. From a pricing point of view however if BT get a monopoly then they can be lazy about cutting prices.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

what i want to know is will they (bt) change the nolimits flat rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

We can only wait and see - tho i wouldnt trust BT as far as i can drop kick Eircom with Esat kissing my ass :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Is this good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr-Bond

I think that this, that these and those, thats the way the "th" goes.
    oh, and I have nothing constructive to add as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

I think this is great as the combined telco bandwidth will be amazing.

SNL - is cheaper than buying a paper everyday, maybe its way too cheap.

If I was to wonder how BT may wish things to change (if any changes happen) I woul look at their existing product set and practises.

Personally I hope this may mean an end to Eircoms ISDN installation monopoly smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Hmm, this could mean a number of things for me & my fellow Esat subscribers.
    (a) BT come in and introduce a load of new services, ie. isdn, better bandwith, comletely free, etc. etc. improving our pings and causing us great joy, yippeee!!
    (b) They do the above, create a huge demand for the service, and kill our pings off altogether, awwww.
    (c) They do the above, the other companies feel obliged to do the same, thus evening out the demand, and we're all smiling again.
    (d) They f**k everything up, but do a great job of marketing so everyone goes to their s**t service leaving us ppl in the know to move to other ISPs, improving our pings again, Yippeeee!!

Hmm, am I leaving something out?
    Oh yeah, that norwegian company. Yeah right sunglasses.gif

Advertisement