Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB - €42.35

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

This is obviously a mistake otherwise it would be plastered all over the telly and eircoms site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if you pay €200 for an engineer install rental for the year will be €42.35
    its still €55 a month if you go for self install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I looks like €42.35 is basically €10 off the non-VAT price
    i.e. €35 per month instead of €45 per month.

But this only applies to people who take the engineer install offer.

What I'd be interesting in knowing is, what is the 'Home Broadband Demo' that they are offering on their site, is this something where the rep comes to your home and shows a laptop with simulated broadband demo.

Or is it where they connect you at the exchange for the duration of the demo and the rep actually shows you a live demo, that would be a lot more impressive!

Even a try before you buy would be good, i.e they connect you for a week and if you don't like it you return the modem and they disconnect you.... maybe even taking a deposit off you for the modem and possibly requiring a minimal charge for the demo of say €20.

[Edit: Typo corrected]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

Well even so if its a mistake its still a form of false advertising surly if its at that price on there site then if you want it you can have it for that price.

I remember there being an occasion were argos had something similar a mis price in there catalogue but they still had to sell it for the mistaken price.Could be wrong correct me if I am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Just FYI, this query was prompted by the following post: http://pub145.ezboard.com/faskaboutmoneyfrm36.showMessage?topicID=219.topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Anyone care to explain that one?

http://www.broadband-ireland.net/eircombb_cost.htm

Eircom starter costs €45 +VAT (€54.45). Right now, eircom are offering self install users a free connection, and the first month free. which they reckon is worth approximately €150. To give people getting the engineer install (which still costs €199) the same break, they are being given €10/month off the pre-VAT price. That's 12 months * €10 plus VAT = €145.

(€45-€10) + VAT = €42.35.

Originally posted by Grom
    Well even so if its a mistake its still a form of false advertising surly if its at that price on there site then if you want it you can have it for that price.
    If broadband-ireland was owned by oreillycom, you might have a point. But it's not, and it's not misleading advertising anyway - you can hardly blame them because you can't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I think it is if you get the engineer install which is 200 Euro
    So 12.50 into 200 is 16 which means if you stay with eircom for more than 16 months you will make your money back. But hopefully the prices will have been reduced by then anyway which means you will lose out by doing it this way.

Also this is probably an addvertising scam. Eircom can now advertice their broadband for 42.35 and put a little * star becide it. Then at the bottom put *Engineer Install Only

Originally posted by clearz
    I think it is if you get the engineer install which is 200 Euro
    So 12.50 into 200 is 16 which means if you stay with eircom for more than 16 months you will make your money back.
    Before the current promotion was introduced, self install cost €99, and an engineer install cost €199. So an Engineer install has always cost €100 more than self install.

Now, with self install, you get "free connection", and first month free. That's a saving of €153.45. An engineer install still costs €199.65, and you don't getthe first month free, so, to even things up, you get €10 off the pre VAT price. That's 12*€10+VAT = €145.20.

Or to put it another way, the "minimum contract" cost for self install is 11*€54.45=€598.95

The "minimum contract" cost of engineer install is (€165 + 12*€35)+VAT = €707.85.

The difference in cost between "self install" and "engineer install" has stayed at about €100 (it's gone up just a little - less than €1/month over the whole year).
    Also this is probably an addvertising scam. Eircom can now advertice their broadband for 42.35 and put a little * star becide it. Then at the bottom put *Engineer Install Only
    What advertising scam? Oreillycom aren't advertising broadband for €42.35 anywhere - it's all coming from people who can't seem to be bothered actually reading the pricelist posted on oreillycoms website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Don't forget about actual 'line rental' on yer phone bills too, that pushes up the REAL cost of ADSL.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    Don't forget about actual 'line rental' on yer phone bills too, that pushes up the REAL cost of ADSL.
    Not for anyone I know - I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't already have a phone line who is interested in signing up for DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Dr. Dre

yeah i agree with Ripwave above people getting bb typically have lines already and aren't getting a phone line in just for bb, so i don't believe its the REAL cost of ADSL nor is it the REAL cost of dial-up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    yeah i agree with Ripwave above people getting bb typically have lines already and aren't getting a phone line in just for bb, so i don't believe its the REAL cost of ADSL nor is it the REAL cost of dial-up

NTL cable costs EU40 a month for 600/128 and there is no line rental involved there at all making it an effective EU17.50 a month more than Eircoms line rental alone or one third of the cost of DSL . Many people nowadays hardly use a landline except that they are stuck with one for Internet .

Just a thought !

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I would think a lot of people still use there landline for phonecalls, line rental they probably paid before they had access to the net via bb or dialup. wrt my own situation we had a phone for calls a long time before we had net access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I was really refering to my own subjective view on it, personally, I only have a land line for dial-up (now adsl). I'm not a phone person, so all my communication is done via the gift of sms/e-mail from my mobile phone, obviously apart from the times when an actual phone call is required. If there was any other way then the phone would be coming out.

PS: I've had satellite and wireless solutions in the past, so I'm not looking for alternatives, before I get a list of them :D

Advertisement