Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Burner

• 16-12-2003 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi guys,

I'm looking into investing in a DVD burner for Christmas. I have a PIII 500 with 128MB Ram which I think should be more than enough to run a DVD burner from. Am I right?

Next question... which DVD burner should I buy. I know absolute zip about them except that there is two competing standards DVD+R/+RW and DVD-R/-RW. I suppose the best option is to go for a burner that supports both?

I've been looking at a few on Komplett.ie and I quite fancy the look of this one
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=115676&p=&t=1897&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=3&GrpID=10&cks=PRL

It's only DVD+ standard but it seems a bargain at just over 70 euro. Anyone have any knowledge of this item or could you suggest a similar cheap DVD burner?

Thanks,
    Seamus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it'd be safer to go for the dual format burner, for future proofing purposes, but it depends on your needs versus your budget.

i've just got an optorite 8x burner (+/-RW) which is about the most versatile buner i've found. it can even write 1.4gb onto a cd-r too, which might be handy for backing up on the cheap, but as it's not turned up yet, i guess i won't know for sure for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 seamus.carey

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind me asking, where did you get your Opterite 8x burner from and how much did it cost?

Thanks for the help,
    Happy Christmas,
    Seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

are u from athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 seamus.carey

Hi,

Yep I'm from Athlone. It's a bit of a small world, well country at least.

Do I know you?

Right, think it's about time to change my profile name.... :)

Seamus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

from eBay.

actually, now i've read it, it's only a 4x burner, but they do do an 8x version which you can get from ebay.

still, not bothered at 15mins burn time for a whole dvd.

here's the one i got anyway: clicky linky

hoping to have a note from mr postman to let me know it's waiting for me to come and collect. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement